+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Renzetti Traveler Jaws

Hybrid View

Default Renzetti Traveler Jaws

Wondering if anyone would have the dimensions of the Renzetti Traveler vise jaws. I chipped a jaw tying streamside the other day, and am out of town for the holidays visiting family and and going to try to fabricate a replacement (Grandfather is a machinist). From what I remember, each jaw is 3/16" x 3/8"?

Good memory; the jaws on mine (non-cam) are 3/16" x 3/8" x 2". I'd just rig up something with a Vise-Grip but it sounds like you're going to have fun rolling your own.

Regards,
    Scott

Unless you can find the right material it might not be worth the effort. I'm basing that on having a traveler cam jaw break shortly after installing it. Renzetti said it might have been a bad tempering job by the company that tempers theirs and replaced it for me.

I have A2, prehard 4140 (4130) and various types of tool steel available. More than likely I will use tool steel with Brinell value of 1200+. Also, I dont care for the cam, Ill just tap six (6) threads, for jaw adjustment and position.

The cam is loved by some, disliked by others. The main issue I have with cams on vises like the traveler is excessive pressure due to increased leverage gained with the cam over the original knob style tensioner. I was in a rush the other day tying streamside, wasn't paying attention and next thing you know, I had a chip. Thanks Scott, I thought that was the right size, originally bought the travelers due to the ease at which jaws could be made (custom), as I have a difficult time tying size 20 and smaller on some vises. I wanted to make some "micro" midge jaws, and now seems like a good time.

I've considered switching to the cam jaws but always found other ways to spend the $75 and, truthfully, haven't missed them too much. Please take pics of your finished product; love to see the midge jaws. Also, welcome to the forum.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread