+ Reply to Thread

Thread: floats for flies?

Hybrid View

Question floats for flies?

I may get to take my boy after trout a little next weekend. I know there is a float that people use for fishing with flies with conventional tackle, but I can't remember the name of it? I think that's a sign of something??? But I can't remember what it's a sign for. LOL. Any thoughts on a good way to help him cast a fly on regular gear would be appreciated. I've had him cast a fly rod a few times, but he's only 8 and I don't want him to get discouraged, where we are going it is extremely easy to get hungNtree we should probably go somewhere else in a perfect world, but due to things beyond our control we don't have much choice this weekend.

Thanks in advance,
    hNt

PS Happy Thanksgiving
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Might have done that once or twice with my kids...when they were gettin' started:

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/201...ies-that-bind/

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

hNt,

Any old red and white bobber will do, the old plastic type we used when we fished spinning gear. What you need is the weight of the bobber to carry the line, hence the fly, out onto the water. The strike indicators we usually use in fly fishing are usually way to light to cast any distance with a spinning out fit. So see, fly fishers DO NOT use bobbers, we use strike indicators, contrary to what some say. Put a bead head nymph like a Prince or Hare's Ear or Pheasant Tail a couple feet below the bobber and that should produce some fish.

Good luck fishing and have a great day.

Larry ---sagefisher---

It's called a 'Bobber'. Regardless of the color: red/white, fl. orange, fl. red, a completely transparent type bulb or what-have-you. It adds weight to the line and thus allows the person to cast and it allows you to establish the distance between it and what you have at the end of the line.
    Have fun, actually more importantly - allow you son to have fun. Good luck.
    Last edited by Allan; 11-17-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Jason;
    "Plastic Magic Bubble Spin Floats" at Bass Pro

http://fishingmyway.com/uncategorize...-bubble-method
    It's called fly and bubble. The bubble is a egg shaped clear bubble with a tube through the middle. You can add water to the bubble to increase the weight, cast farther and to sink it a little. They're what Jack called Plastic Magic Spin Float but can be purchased at anywhere that sells tackle. You and AJ have fun. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Agree with Jack. Those bobbers afre just the ticket for flipping a fly when a fly rod is not the way to go. I have used these bobbers for over 60 years and really like them. Here is a couple of clues that may help you. 1. The bobbper has hollow plastic tube the runs through the bobber. You put your line through the tube and attach your line to a swivel. BE SURE, REAL SURE that you put the line through the big end of the tube. If you get this backwards the bobber will leak water as the swivel will press against the small end of the tube. 2. When the bobber hits the water take time to give the line a few jerks. This will help to straighten the rig out and prevent tangles. and 3. Don't reel too fast and try jigging it now and then depending on what species of fish you are after.

Link to setup: http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/bubble.htm

Tim

+ Reply to Thread