+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got another bamboo. Need some advise please.

nighthawk Guest

Aaawww, shucks. J.C. went and made me blush right in front of Amy. Seriously, I appreciate the kind words and all of the help. I paid $59 and change for the rod including shipping. I was so tired last night I couldn't recall exactly how much I paid. Varicose veins can really wreck your sleeping pattern. I feel much better today but I did call off of work. Oh well.

Leo, you've got mail.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

[This message has been edited by nighthawk (edited 07 July 2006).]

Yup, looks like a Montague. And the "Western Special" marking makes me think it was some sort of custom job. I'd think it would throw a 6wt line nicely, but if that seems to load too quickly, go with the 5wt SYLK. Also, are the ferrules pinned? If so, and you decide to replace them, you might consider replacing the pins as well (or have some rod restoration person do it for you).

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

nighthawk Guest

Pj4,
    No the ferrules are not pinned. My first thought on seeing this rod was like yours. It appeared to be a custom built rod. The fit and finish of the rod have the appearance of special attention from a skilled rod maker. Kind of like buying a firearm from a big manufacturers custom shop. Not to put down their mass produced models, I normally buy them, but the same models from a manufacturers custom shops have all of the little details that make them that much better. If you know what I mean.

Sorry about the ramble. Some day I will be able to order a Kusse or a Clouser but this old Montague has me excited. Like a kid at Christmas. There's just something about bamboo, no matter who the rod maker is.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

+ Reply to Thread