+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got another bamboo. Need some advise please.

nighthawk Guest

Default Got another bamboo. Need some advise please.

Here is what I know about this rod: It is a 9' hexagonal bamboo with "Western Special" hand written on it. The original guides are black. The guides and tip top on the tip section have been replaced with new larger guides. Cork is original. Reel seat is an original slide lock style. Wraps are bright red with black borders and in very good condition. Ferrules appear to be nickle-silver and are wrapped to the boo. One ferrule has a small crack that appears to have been repaired. All ferrules are tight, no clicking during false casting. There is no delamination, splitting or fraying of the boo. No dings either. The finish appears to be original and in very good condition.

Any idea on identifying the rod maker?

I was considering Cortland Sylk line for this rod. I am a little uncertain as to what weight and taper to go with. It casts pretty good with a DT-6-F Cortland 333 that I have but would a 5wt Sylk line be better? The stripping and mid section guides are the original small guides.

I am also considering putting my Horrocks & Ibbotson Vernley Trout Reel on this rod.

Guess you folks can add another to the boo addiction. I seem to have been bitten by the vintage boo-bug.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

Eric;
    I put a SYLK DT5F on my Elkhorn and like it very much. Rainbow tried it and thinks I would be able to cast the whole line!
    I added a G. Loomis venture reel and it is a great looking outfit too.
    Sorry about the red face, old habits are hard to break!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

[This message has been edited by Jack Hise (edited 05 July 2006).]

Look at the node spacing pattern & is it light, medium or dark cane ? Anyway to determine if it's an impregnated rod, varnished, etc.? Is the reel seat Bakelite, nickel silver or other & up or down-locking ? Seems Orvis had a Western Special back in the 1980's but it was a graphite rod.

Welcome to the DARK SIDE.
    Try inquiring on FAOL's rod building page- lots of knowledgeable boo guys there. Some pics of ferrules and reel seats might help in your ID quest.
    You might want to try inquiring on this other board also as it is dedicated to the reed addiction that is spreading... [url=http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum.:d792c]http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum.[/url:d792c]

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

nighthawk Guest

Here are some pics of the rod. I apologize for the quality. I am very exhausted right now and will try to get better one later this weekend.

This rod is straight as an arrow, honey colored and appears to have a nickle silver down locking reel seat. Does not appear to be stainless steel but how so I tell the difference? Also looks like it has the original varnish and in very good condition too.

Many thanks for the help. Will check out the other site for certain, too. I paid a fair bit less than $100 for the rod.

Oops, forgot there is a small crack in the winding check too.
    Boy am I tired!
    ------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

[This message has been edited by nighthawk (edited 06 July 2006).]

[This message has been edited by nighthawk (edited 06 July 2006).]

It looks like an old Montegue to me .

------------------
    Life is like a fly swap...You never know what your going to get.

Rod appears to be a trade rod using either Montague or Montague Chubb components. IF the action of it feels good to you and you like the way it casts pay close attention to the ferrules since the grip check is cracked as you so stated the ferrules may do so as well. This would be a medium grade rod as were most of this ilk. There are replacement ferrules available which would increase the cost of the rod but make it far more fishable without having to worry about a fractured ferrule hurting the cane. Good luck restoring it and enjoy fishing it.....

------------------
    Oct Woods
    Visit my website:
    [url=http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2h7gi/fishnbanjossliceoflifeincyberspacecopy/index.html:db3b7]Fishnbanjos Place[/url:db3b7]

OW,,,, Thanks for the advice, the 'Hawk' is special to all of us here.

I believe that Banjo nailed it. The ferrules are Montague for sure, and the Winding check looks like some of the checks used on some of the rods that came out of the Montague custom shop. I think that they are plated brass and if so, cracks usually show up in them. Finding the ferrules is not that diffucult, I have a few of them left and that looks like it may be a 19/64ths or 20/64ths. Montague, made a lot of rods and even made rods for companies like Orvis, South Bend, and dozens of private labeled trade rods. I have a few that are pretty decent rods to fish too, just very heavy for my liking.

Eric, shoot me an email with your adress in it and I will send you a spool of that scarlet silk used on that rod.

Leo

I believe that Banjo nailed it. The ferrules are Montague for sure, and the Winding check looks like some of the checks used on some of the rods that came out of the Montague custom shop. I think that they are plated brass and if so, cracks usually show up in them. Finding the ferrules is not that diffucult, I have a few of them left and that looks like it may be a 19/64ths or 20/64ths. Montague, made a lot of rods and even made rods for companies like Orvis, South Bend, and dozens of private labeled trade rods. I have a few that are pretty decent rods to fish too, just very heavy for my liking.

Eric, shoot me an email with your adress in it and I will send you a spool of that scarlet silk used on that rod.

Leo

+ Reply to Thread