+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could have any tying vise (at no cost to you) which would it be?

AlanB Guest

Byron,
    What rules them out is they don't have the two plate clamping system, in either form.
    Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

You do not want a collet system of jaws.
    I think that is what I take from that?

AlanB Guest

Thats right. Been there done that destroyed lots of jaws, Push type or pull type, can't be doing with 'em. Spring jaws are often good but tend to be bulky.

If you think about the hardening process the two plate system the jaws are totally separate when hardened. With collet jaws you have access problems to the working faces. Makes them a lot harder to harden well. Of course it would be easy to make a 3 piece collet jaw set so the different sides of the jaws can be hardened apart... but no one does!

Cheers,
    A.

A 24kt gold plated peak vise inlaid with a silver dragon...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    What is your "fantasy vise" among those currently manufactured?
    Dyna King Ultimate Indexer. I already have one, It was a gift.

If money were no object.....and if I wanted another vise I "think" I would want a Dyna King Ultimate Indexer. Not for the indexing feature though. It just looks like it has an adjustment knob in every spot I want one.

However I have a Griffin 2A Patriot, Mongoose, Spyder, Norvise, Peak, Danvise and have given away a couple of three vises. And....sold two other Danvise's before I bought this one from Phil.

I currently have no desire to purchase another vise. I am very pleased with my Danvise....of which I modified a bunch of times.

Will post ALL the others up for sale on the For Sale board someday. Uh...I modified the Norvise. I hack sawed off the little knurled knob. Just FYI.....

In answer to the original question, I'd opt for the top-of-the-line Dyna King. No particular reason.

Now I do have a comment about something previously said. The Thompson 'A' and 'Pro' vises were used for decades and they were excellent vises when they were first manufactured. There are many of those vises that are still being used. Individual vises were used for a wide range of hook sizes and for as many as 100,000 or more flies. Reminder - The head/jaws of these vises are controlled by a collet and lever.

Allan

AlanB Guest

Allan, you are correct. All I'm saying is based on my experience and preferences. If someone uses that kind of vice and gets on with it thats fine. I didn't. Even with top of the range Dyna Kings I found myself replacing jaws too often for my taste. There is no suppler I know of of original Thompson vices this side of the pond now. Steve Parton used to have them but he has closed and retired.

About 10 years ago the chairman of a fishing club I was in kept saying, "You don't need an expensive vice. Mine cost ?2/10. (two pounds ten shillings)" I asked when that was? "1952 he said". "How much were you earning a week in 1952?" I asked. "I was on a good wage back then ?2/12 a week." Was his answer. I pointed out that today that equates to over ?500, for someone doing a similar job. He spent almost a weeks wages on a vice. If a company could demand such a huge price for a simple leaver and collet vice it would, or at least could, be of superb quality. Thats the price of a top of the range Dyna King. There is a lot more in the top Dyna Kings than in the likes of a Thompson so something has to give.

Also making a jaw to go into a collet is asking steel to do two contradictory things. Steel can be made very hard, it can also be made flexible. It can not be made both hard and flexible. Its a trade off. That's why knife blades are hardened and tempered, not just hardened. It is also why Damascus steel was developed. As the Two plate system doesn't require the steel to flex at any point this conundrum doesn't exist. Hence my preference for that design of jaws.

That's all it is, my preference, based on my experience and engineering knowledge. Many who do not use their vice as much as as I do will find satisfaction with a lever and collet vice. This winter I have around 3000 to 5000 flies to get tied. These days I am only tying part time. I've tied full time in the past, which is probably why I wore out so many jaws.

Cheers,
    A.

Blog Entries

AlanB,
    Yes, it is your preference and that is what I asked for. So, thank you for explaining your preference.
    Too bad we can't work on "The Perfect Vise" design. Then again, there would never be ONE perfect vise.
    Right AlanB?
    Byron

As a followup to the 2nd question of "why"...The Regal Stainless Medallion for several reasons.

The simplicity of a single motion to mount a hook with ZERO adjustment.

The hook holding power with no reason to even think about it...ever.

The positioning of the jaw-head along with it's shape are perfect for my hand.

The newer stainless jaws do not chip and are perfect for any size hook.

I do not rotary tie. So the ability to rotate a fly 180 degrees is all I want or need.

It is built so that your great grandkids will be tying on it.

+ Reply to Thread