Thread: If you could have any tying vise (at no cost to you) which would it be?

Threaded View

Hi all,

I read all of the posts with interest, although didn't actually read every word, and am surprised I didn't see my pick, although it could have been there and I just missed it due to my rapid read of the posts.

First of all, I tie on a Thompson "A" and have no plans to change because it does everything I need, and as slowly as I tie, I certainly don't need a better vise. My of "A" holds the hook just fine, and I think it is a very adequate vise. Fact is, I actually like the old beast.

That said, if I could have any vise it would be one of the original HMH vises that started the whole premium vise movement. Simply a beautifully made, precision device, and a nice to look at old vise. I have seen a few on Ebay and they go for VERY premium dollars.

That said, there is no way I would part with that kind of money for any vise.

Every now and then I look at the new HMHs, they are sure nice, and very nice to look at too, but still, I am satisfied with my old Thompson, and I enjoy tying on it.

The old "A" is a throwback to a traditional approach to fly fishing, and that appeals to me a lot also. Some of the best tiers of all time tied on a Thompson A, and I think the older ones are quite a bit better than the newer ones. Here a while back I bought one of the older ones, and then later a second older one. I also have a couple of newer "A"s. That's why I think the older ones are better than the newer ones.

I tie on an "A" and have no plans to change.

Good topic, interesting reading.

Regards,

Gandolf
    Last edited by Gandolf; 12-02-2012 at 08:23 PM.