+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mysis Shrimp

Something that juicy probably never gets to the bottom before it's eaten.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    Fred,

Great looking shrimp pattern and beautifully tied! Do you find that you're snagging the bottom a lot with the hook facing down?

Jim Smith
    Jim, I don't have that problem here in La. fishing for panfish. I typically fish this with a floating fly line and 5 feet of leader on the edge of grass lines. If I were going to fish shallow water where the fly would contact the bottom I would tie in the legs of the shrimp as a brush weedguard , the kind seen on heavy jigs.
    Fred

I get the body on the cricket fairly descent but when i go to shape the leggs they just fall off where the bends are sposta go...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred H View Post
    Thanks bugman . I want to see some photos of some of your new ties.
    Fred
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Just a question: What's wrong with Lake Trout? "Bull Trout" are just a sub-species of Dolly Varden trout, that live in other places. Bull Trout were endangered long before the shrimp made it to the Flathead Lake. And Kokanee are present in good numbers in a lot of other lakes, even as far south as North Carolina (Lake Nantahala).

Trying to 'fix' the lake so that the always marginal Bull Trout, and Kokanee can continue to eck out a slim survival there, will do way more damage. Why not just enjoy the new Lake Trout fishery, and catch Kokanee in one of the other numerous lakes where they thrive? As for Bull Trout, they have always had a hard time, and it is unlikely that they will ever be prolific anywhere, no matter what. They would probably be better off just raising Bull trout in fish hatcheries, just to keep them from going extinct, and stocking them every year.

Just my opinion. I like Lake Trout. I wish they would try to stock them here in Ga., as well as Kokanee. Some of the lakes here are deep enough to where they might survive the summers. Walleye make it OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    Just a question: What's wrong with Lake Trout? "Bull Trout" are just a sub-species of Dolly Varden trout, that live in other places. Bull Trout were endangered long before the shrimp made it to the Flathead Lake. And Kokanee are present in good numbers in a lot of other lakes, even as far south as North Carolina (Lake Nantahala).

Trying to 'fix' the lake so that the always marginal Bull Trout, and Kokanee can continue to eck out a slim survival there, will do way more damage. Why not just enjoy the new Lake Trout fishery, and catch Kokanee in one of the other numerous lakes where they thrive? As for Bull Trout, they have always had a hard time, and it is unlikely that they will ever be prolific anywhere, no matter what. They would probably be better off just raising Bull trout in fish hatcheries, just to keep them from going extinct, and stocking them every year.

Just my opinion. I like Lake Trout. I wish they would try to stock them here in Ga., as well as Kokanee. Some of the lakes here are deep enough to where they might survive the summers. Walleye make it OK.

The misguided introduction of lake trout/mysis shrimp pretty much wiped out kokanee salmon and bull trout and westslope cutthroat trout in Flathead Lake (crashed the bull/cutt population in Whitefish Lake, too) and you say "enjoy it"? You think the folks in Yellowstone enjoy what the lakers have done to the cutthroats there? I've fished for lakers on Whitefish Lake, and caught a few on a fly, but it's a very deep lake and for the most part they stay deep. I guess you could make shooting heads out of 20' of LC13, toss heavily weighted clousers, count down for a minute and maybe, maybe find a fish or two; or you could attach your fly to an 8lb downrigger and troll for them.
    Bull trout, which will never be confused with bluegills when it comes to breeding under the best of circumstances, require pristine conditions, which we humans have done a pretty good job of screwing up and you say we should just raise them in hatcheries? I must have walked into the Wayback Machine and come out in 1965.
    BTW, the kokanee salmon used to supply a much needed shot of protein to bald eagles and bears in Glacier NP every fall when they ran up the Flathead to MacDonald Lake; when that run crashed, the eagles had to head elsewhere.

Regards,
    Scott

Fred,

My apologies for the hi-jacking; this post is supposed to be about your great shrimp pattern.
    Last edited by ScottP; 11-20-2012 at 06:40 PM.

The late JC and I were living on Finley Point, Flathead Lake just before the crash. It was great fun while it lasted. One evening Jim's dad was visiting from Michigan and he was down on the dock with Jim while he proceeded to catch a laker, a westslope cut, kookanee and bull trout casting just from the dock - all within maybe and hour and a half. We also trolled with monelle line for the lakers, a lot of work but we did catch a few. We did go up to Glacier to see the big gathering of eagles - just a knockout. What a terrible loss.
    Last edited by LadyFisher; 11-21-2012 at 02:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread