Today is the last day of Trout season in the eastern Sierras west of 395. Mike and I went up thursday and friday of last week to finish out our year in style. We were getting ready to fish Baker creek at Big Pine when there was a weather alert on the radio. Schools were being closed and high profile vehicles were being advised to stop running because of a wind advisory. They were saying winds at 60 MPH with gusts up to 90 MPH were coming to the Owen's Valley.
It was pretty calm where we were 16 miles south of Bishop so we walked the creek for a bit. Mike caught one and I got skunked. Fish were probably hunkering down because of the weather report.
We drove into Bishop and it seemed like we were a little ahead of the storm so we went out Line street towards lake Sabrina. The mountains were clouded over and we had snow flurries and a breeze of about 10 to 20 mph or so. Fished several places along Bishop Creek with Mike taking 1 small brown and I was skunked again. I did catch one small limb that kept a renegade and a floating branch that took a griffiths gnat. We tried the South Fork with the same results and so after about 2 hours of cold and wind we called it quits and went back to the valley and hit the river. Again Mike caught a small rainbow and a 10" large mouth bass. Fishing was not going well for me. The only good thing (besides being there) was the predicted wind never came. It turned out to be a beautiful day.
A restful night at the motel and breakfast, then a stop at Schat's Bakkery for our bread order and we were back on the river. It's a new day and the trout are liking my olive matuka. We fished the Warm Springs section of the Owen's for about an hour. I brought 3 to hand and a couple long distanf releases. Mike was skunked. We then went to Big Pine Creek, no action, Tennemaha creek, I caught 2 and Mike 0.
When we went up there on thursday we figured DFG would be stocking one more time, especially since Veteran's day was a 3 day weekend. So far we had seen no evidence of stocking at any creek or pond.
We figured since the weather was holding out we would just take our time and fish some places that had always been good to us and so after awhile we came to George's creek at the sand trap. As I was getting my Scott out of the tube, Mike walked over and made a half hearted cast. As soon as the bug hit the water he yelled, "FISH ON!" I was straightening my leader... "FISH ON!" I was tying on a wooly bugger... "FISH ON! Finally I got to the water. It was frantic for about an hour. We must have caught and released at least a dozen fish each before we , not the fish, quit. DFG had definately stocked there.

Sometimes it happens that way, turns a ho-hum fishing trip into a WHOOPPEE fishing trip. Sorry I didn't take my camera. I hope to see you on the water next spring. Have a good winter. Jim