Sport fishing column for Nov 12 to 19, 2012

It has occurred to me after reading a recent article on rod making legend Glen Brackett; that the skill of rod home making and repair is becoming a lost art.

When I was taught how to repair rods as a kid back in the mid 1960's, it was more of a necessity than an option. It was the golden age of the glass rod and a brake was quickly mended with a ferrel joint. As we added ferrels, the added stiffness often improved the action of our whippy rods. Two piece rods often progressed through four to eight piece rods, before they were replaced. Rod making began after I was introduced to fly fishing in 1970.

In the 80's moved from glass to cane rods when I purchased my first cane rod from a pawnshop. The price was good, but the rod did need a refit. Building and repairing rod was a great hobby and did so many that for awhile it became a part-time job. Then came graphite. I resisted the move to graphite all through the 90's, while hosting some heated debates with my peers. I finally conceded to the modern age in the year 2000, and in looking back, I'm glad I did.

Some say that the new materials have taken rod making and repair out of the hands of the home based crafter; I don't agree. While the modern materials can be more challenging to work with, and parts are more specialized, the craft is still do-able for Joe Angler.

Rod crafting; there's a Christmas gift idea for the angler on your list.

The Report

Our lower mainland lakes are slow. For better success try a dead slow troll or retrieve during the warmest part of the day, with: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Coachman, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Dragonfly Nymph, Damsel Nymph, halfback, Sixpack, Micro Leach, Big Black, Doc Spratley, Pumpkinhead, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser is fishing well for coho, chum, spring, and cutthroat. For coho try: Eggo, Coho Blue, Christmas Tree, olive Wooly Bugger, or Bite Me, Rolled Muddler. For chum try: Christmas Tree, Big Black, Flat Black, Bunny Leach, Holliman, dark green Wooly Bugger, or Mat Green. For spring try: Eggo, Big Black, Flat Black, Wooly Bugger, Kaufmann Stone, Squamish Poacher, or Popsicle. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Professor, Anderson Stone, Zulu, American Coachman, Renegade, Tom Thumb, Black Gnat, Chez Nymph, and Irresistible.

The Harrison is good for coho, chum, spring and cutthroat.

The Vedder is good for coho, chum, spring, rainbow, and cutthroat. For rainbow try: Kaufmann Stone, Big Black, Black Gnat, Souboo, Zulu, Renegade, Tom Thumb, Chernobyl Ant, Foam Hopper, or Irresistible.

The Thompson is open and fishing well for steelhead try: Steelhead Nightmare, Kaufmann Stone, Polar Shrimp, GP, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Flat Black, or Steelhead Spratley.