Here is what I know about this rod: It is a 9' hexagonal bamboo with "Western Special" hand written on it. The original guides are black. The guides and tip top on the tip section have been replaced with new larger guides. Cork is original. Reel seat is an original slide lock style. Wraps are bright red with black borders and in very good condition. Ferrules appear to be nickle-silver and are wrapped to the boo. One ferrule has a small crack that appears to have been repaired. All ferrules are tight, no clicking during false casting. There is no delamination, splitting or fraying of the boo. No dings either. The finish appears to be original and in very good condition.

Any idea on identifying the rod maker?

I was considering Cortland Sylk line for this rod. I am a little uncertain as to what weight and taper to go with. It casts pretty good with a DT-6-F Cortland 333 that I have but would a 5wt Sylk line be better? The stripping and mid section guides are the original small guides.

I am also considering putting my Horrocks & Ibbotson Vernley Trout Reel on this rod.

Guess you folks can add another to the boo addiction. I seem to have been bitten by the vintage boo-bug.

------------------
Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!