Interesting picture and article on the number of Lake Trout removed from Yellowstone Lake: http://www.nps.gov/yell/parknews/12090.htm

About 10 years ago I remember seeing a picture of a similar sized lake trout that the Park Service had removed from Yellowstone Lake. They said that one was about 27-28 years old if I recall, long before anyone acknowledged that lake trout existed in Yellowstone Lake, and if memory serves me correctly, I seem to recall that they said a lake trout that sized could eat a couple thousand cutthroat over the couse of a year. Just think how many cutthroat were saved by the 300,000 lake trout that were removed this year alone.

The couple times that I fished the Yellowstone River in the Park this past summer I noted a few more younger cutthroat trout, and of a couple differnt year age groups, than I've seen in the past few years. Actually, there were quite a lot of the smaller cutthroat. Nothing like it was years ago, but gradually getting better I think. Hopefully, there will be enough water next spring in the spawning tributary steams.

John