+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly reel repair

Default Fly reel repair

I dropped my 8450 Charlton on a rock and slightly dented the frame. The spool now rubs in that spot on each rotation. Who do you recommend for this sort of repair. Charlton and Scientific Anglers are non responsive. Thanks, Claude Riedel

If you can't find anyone, try gently bending back. I have no idea of the reel's value, but that is my 3 cents. You might try a local fly shop, they may have a person for repairs.
    Mike

Check with Bill Archuleta at Archuleta Reel Works.http://archuletasreelworks.com/
    Last edited by bobbyg; 11-13-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

There is a trick to pop small dents out of car bodies I would try, heat it up with a hair dryer and when you have it good and hot blast it with canned compressed air. I saw a video and the dent popped out of the fender, I have not idea if it will work on a reel where the dent is not restrained around its perimeter.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    Check with Bill Archuleta at Archuleta Reel Works.http://archuletasreelworks.com/
    On a reel as expensive as a Charlton I'd definitely have Bill repair it. He's repaired a coupleof my Marryats and he does great work. Give him a call and explain your problem and he can probably tell you what he can do for the reel.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by RS2 View Post
    On a reel as expensive as a Charlton I'd definitely have Bill repair it. He's repaired a coupleof my Marryats and he does great work. Give him a call and explain your problem and he can probably tell you what he can do for the reel.
    This is very sound advice.

...as one who had to have a reliable reel repair expert ( and he is an expert at it ) for our customers with non-warranty repairs. Bill was... and still is our go to guy.

Check around the net and you'll come to the same conclusion.

Best, Dave

As a side note. If it rubs at the same place every revolution and not continualy the problem is deeper than a bent reel. Your spool is also bent or something worse.
    There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.
    R.Y.

+ Reply to Thread