Sport fishing column for Nov 19 to 26, 2012

"From my own particular point of view, which is that of stream fisherman and a fly-fisherman, the pacific salmons are not ideal game fish. I say this reluctantly and after many years of trying to convince myself otherwise, because they do at times reward the fly-fisherman greatly and under some conditions they give some fine moments of sport in streams. But one has to accept the fact that as a fly-rod fish in fresh water they do not rate with ? other true trouts." This passage was taken from Roderick Haig-Brown's, Fisherman's Fall.

I found it strange to hear those words from the famed Haig-Brown; but I have to confess that since the novelty of my catching salmon on the fly has worn off, I have to agree with the master. As time goes on I find my thoughts and ambitions continuously drifting back to the brook trout of our Cariboo Lakes, and large aggressive rainbow of our Thompson and Columbia Rivers. Does this mean that I don't fish for our pacific salmon? Certainly not! Who doesn't relish the flavor of our summer sockeye, or the change in table fare of a fresh fall coho? Christmas would not be the same for our visiting guests, if there was not an ample supply of smoked chum. As for course scaled fish? Well, I believe Shakespeare said it best when he said "No more of these bland as dishwater trout for me, make it pickerel for my table." Each of us has our own favorite fish, and for our own reasons. That angler on your Christmas list has his or her preference too. Over the next several columns we will be making suggestions to help you find that special gift; stay tuned.

The Report

Our lower mainland lakes are slow. For better success try a dead slow troll or retrieve during the warmest part of the day, with: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Coachman, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Dragonfly Nymph, Damsel Nymph, halfback, Sixpack, Micro Leach, Big Black, Doc Spratley, Pumpkinhead, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser is slowing down for chum and spring, while chance for coho and cutthroat remain good. For coho try: Eggo, Coho Blue, Christmas Tree, olive Wooly Bugger, or Bite Me, Rolled Muddler. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Professor, Anderson Stone, Zulu, American Coachman, Renegade, Tom Thumb, Black Gnat, Chez Nymph, and Irresistible.

The Harrison is good for coho, spring and cutthroat. For spring try: Eggo, Big Black, Flat Black Wooly Bugger, Kaufmann Stone, Squamish Poacher, or Popsicle.

The Vedder is slow for coho, rainbow, and cutthroat. For rainbow try: Kaufmann Stone, Big Black, Black Gnat, Souboo, Zulu, Renegade, Tom Thumb, Chernobyl Ant, Foam Hopper, or Irresistible.

The Thompson is open and fishing well for steelhead try: Steelhead Nightmare, Kaufmann Stone, Polar Shrimp, GP, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Flat Black, or Steelhead Spratley.