+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Fly Fishermen deteriorate.

Hybrid View

Default Do Fly Fishermen deteriorate.

I've been fly fishing for 50 years I recently I noticed that my casting isn't quite as strong and I can't hike 10 mile to a stream anymore. Has anyone else noticed a deterioration in fly fishermen over time?
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

I figure it has been 51 years for me. What I want to know is who suddenly put all those rocks in the streams I fish and who moved the parking lots so far from my favorite holes. They also made those size 18 hooks a lot smaller than they used to be. And the eyes on those hooks. They never used to be that size. I don't know who done it but I suspect Obamacare is responsible.
    David

48 years for me. And why do my feet get colder than they use to? And why have the waders I've purchased over time gotten bigger? Not to mention the rocks and hook sizes that djo has mentioned nor that the tippet seems to shake a bit more when trying to thread it thru the hook eye. And speaking of tippet have you noticed that 6x is getting smaller and seems at times impossible to thread?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Ain't it grand?? I wouldn't trade it for he world!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by djo View Post
    I figure it has been 51 years for me. What I want to know is who suddenly put all those rocks in the streams I fish and who moved the parking lots so far from my favorite holes. They also made those size 18 hooks a lot smaller than they used to be. And the eyes on those hooks. They never used to be that size. I don't know who done it but I suspect Obamacare is responsible.
    David
    Sorry, that was too funny to let pass by......
    The good lord has given us patience to replace all that youthful eyesight and tactile abilities.... right?
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

Pretty obvious from this thread that we deteriorate mentally first.....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

"Old fishermen never die... they just smell that way".

Chuck

I've only been fly fishing, wade fishing freestone streams and rivers, for ten years, but started at age 60 after a good number of years of regular mostly outdoors physical activity like hiking, both on and off trail in the mountains and deserts, and road biking.

One of my favorite saying is "Do it so you can."

So I keep doing stuff so I can keep doing it. Not to say that there isn't a higher price these days than even five years ago, but the cost of not doing it is a lot higher than the cost of doing it.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

60 years for me... [Good Lord!] Made it up to 10,000 feet last summer with the 42 year old "kid" to fish for Brookies in the Beartooths. I took longer to get up there, but by golly I'll keep doing it even if I have to crawl. I figure if I don't keep using it I'll lose it and IF I kick off on the way I'll just be that much closer to the Pearly Gates... [The inspiring part of this thread is that all you guys are complaining but still going..!]
    If there are no dogs in heaven, I want to go where they go."

Will Rogers

NewTyer 1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    60 years for me... [Good Lord!] Made it up to 10,000 feet last summer with the 42 year old "kid" to fish for Brookies in the Beartooths. I took longer to get up there, but by golly I'll keep doing it even if I have to crawl. I figure if I don't keep using it I'll lose it and IF I kick off on the way I'll just be that much closer to the Pearly Gates... [The inspiring part of this thread is that all you guys are complaining but still going..!]
    That's right. Why run down the hill for one, when we could walk and have them all, if you know what I mean. I hear all you guys. I am much slower and easily out of breath but, I've been smoking since I was 12. I don't get anywhere fast. My minds gone and barely think about sex. I must be getting old. It sure isn't for wimps

+ Reply to Thread