+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does fly rods deteriorate?

Hybrid View

Default Does fly rods deteriorate?

I have a GLX 5wt, one of the first. It seems that's not the same rod that I used during the 90's. I know that graphite "is eternal" (just words) but is a surprise to feel the rod a little (more flexible, soft) different each season.
    Did you have a similar experience with graphite fly rods?
    R.

If I can blame it on my poor casting, I'll vote yes.

Regards,
    Scott

I have a GLX classics, all 10 footers in 5,6, and 7 wts. They always cast the same. I don't think it is the rod.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    I have a GLX classics, all 10 footers in 5,6, and 7 wts. They always cast the same. I don't think it is the rod.
    I agree. It's not the rod.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

The graphite-epoxy material itself will not change over time. The stress you put it through in normal use is well within its elastic limit. And GrEp is a brittle material, so it will shatter about the time you exceed that limit. If you're using other, stiffer rods, it might seem like it's changing when it really isn't.
    But Loomis can, and does, change both the material and the design. The material in yours is probably several generations behind what they're using now, so if you have other GLX's they may flex differently.
    And you CAN get a change in how the ferrules behave. They can loosen up over time, and it's especially noticeable in a 4-pc rod (if yours is that old, it's probably 2-piece, right? We didn't realize we all "needed" 4-piece rods back in the 90's)

Try some ferrule wax and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    I agree. It's not the rod.
    OK...I'l try to figure out who conspire against me!...I'll keep you informed.

I belong to a casting club and have improved quite a bit over the last 10 years. Therefore when casting, I accelerate the rod more (and more smoothly) and I certainly stop harder (tight loops). At some point I found the rod with which I began (Fenwick World Class) became really weak. The instructor (former Canadian casting champion more than once) said I had two options - either slow down my stroke or buy a new (stiffer) rod (that could keep up with me). I purchased a Loomis GLS, and after a couple of years I sometimes wonder if it is getting softer - which of course it isn't - I'm getting firmer in my casting. I presume from your initial comments that you have become a better caster and are really flexing the rod, whereas you weren't when you started.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketfish View Post
    I have a GLX 5wt, one of the first. It seems that's not the same rod that I used during the 90's. I know that graphite "is eternal" (just words) but is a surprise to feel the rod a little (more flexible, soft) different each season.
    Did you have a similar experience with graphite fly rods?
    R.
    Fly rods do feel "mushy" if the ferrules are not tightly seated. They tend to loosen with casting. Could that have been the issue?
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread