Sport fishing column for Nov 5 to 12, 2012

In light of opening of the steelhead fishery (Nov 1) on the Thompson; I have chosen to share an experience of opening one day on the Thompson River.

More than a few years back I was invited to join Fish master LaPoint, for the opening of the spring fishery at Spences Bridge. The opening was to commence at 6:00 AM, but Paul told me, "We need a good spot in line, so meet me at the campground at 5:00 and don't be late."

Being a light sleeper it was tough getting to sleep, with the alarm clock, tick, tick, ticking, against the silence of the night. When the alarm sounded at 4:15 I did not relish the thought rolling out, instead of just rolling over, but Paul would be waiting and a rebuke would be forthcoming if I didn't show up.

What I saw when I reached the river was a sight to behold. It was as if the whole town had shown up. Opening day as I soon found out; was a community event. In short order I told where my position was in the fishing rotation, (by mutual agreement all the anglers present had a tradition of sharing the water equitably) while being introduced to all the local who's who. It was more than fishing, it was an event. People didn't just come to fish; they came with family and friends to build bonds. Not only did they bring their lawn chairs and sun shelters, they brought their barbeques too. It was a time of fellowship and celebration of the harvest, and appreciation for the resource.

Etiquette, respect, manors, and appreciation; if all that can be had on opening day on the Thompson; it can happen on any river, any day. The onus is on us. Give (respect) and (in turn) it shall be given unto you.

The Report

Our lower mainland lakes are slow. For better success try a dead slow troll or retrieve with: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Coachman, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Dragonfly Nymph, Damsel Nymph, Sixpack, Doc Spratley, Pumpkinhead, or Baggy Shrimp.

Fishing on our interior lakes is also slow. Try the above recommendations from mid morning through mid afternoon with: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Halfback, 52 Buick, Pumpkinhead, Big Black, Micro Leach, Coachman, Green Spratley, Damsel nymph, Dragon nymph, Carey Special, Souboo, Sixpack, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser is fishing well for coho, chum, spring, and cutthroat. For coho try: Eggo, Coho Blue, Christmas Tree, olive Wooly Bugger, or Bite Me, Rolled Muddler. For chum try: Christmas Tree, Big Black, Flat Black, Bunny Leach, Holliman, dark green Wooly Bugger, or Mat Green. For spring try: Eggo, Big Black, Flat Black, Wooly Bugger, Kaufmann Stone, Squamish Poacher, or Popsicle. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Professor, Anderson Stone, Zulu, American Coachman, Renegade, Tom Thumb, Black Gnat, Chez Nymph, and Irresistible.

The Harrison is good for coho, chum, spring and cutthroat.

The Vedder is good for coho, chum, spring, rainbow, and cutthroat. For rainbow try: Kaufmann Stone, Big Black, Black Gnat, Souboo, Zulu, Renegade, Tom Thumb, Chernobyl Ant, Foam Hopper, or Irresistible.

The Thompson is open and fishing well for steelhead try: Steelhead Nightmare, Kaufmann Stone, Polar Shrimp, GP, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Flat Black, or Steelhead Spratley.