+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Learning from the little guys... ;-)

Default Learning from the little guys... ;-)

About three weaks ago, I was up on one of my favorite Brooki streams, and the day was good. I had a limited amount of flies, so had to take it easy and go alot slower than normal as to not loose my flies to the foiliage or poorly tyed knots... It was a day for the little guys, some large enough to make my fishing worth the trip. So I was content to pay attention to the action of the very little ones, cause they useally have a lesson for me. I have a rule, if the little ones are interested, then your doing something right.
    First lesson I seemed to learn that day was, when I was fishing this one hole that had alot of little guys in it that I could see.. the dang things was scattered all over the place with in the current feeding flow but would not hit my fly unless I hit the same spot for the drift, then they would act like I would expect, being greedy and racing to get there first., any where else the fly hit the water they would ignore it? I'm thinking dang I know you guys can seen it, why don"t you hit it? I finally had to come to the conclusion that even when very small, these guys have rules.. Even if the pool is very large, the fly has to be put right in there chosen feeding area or lane. The other is, in another hole, they stopped hitting the fly, instead of changing flies, I adjusted the post on top of the fly, they would hit it, when the top shifted a little, they wouldn't touch it at all, a very slight adjustment, the fly was coming apart they didn't care but let the post shift a little and it could look like the best fly ever and they wouldn't touch it....
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

One more lesson the little guys made clear, the line to leader to fly, if all that is as it should be, then when they do that hit and run thing, you can snatch those little guys outta there. Leave a little slack or small curl, and I can hang it up unless they intend to take it down to the bottom with them...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

+ Reply to Thread