+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is your favorite rod?

Hybrid View

Default What is your favorite rod?

While posting a reply to the "Winston customer service" thread and it reminded me of something I wrote about here some time ago: For most of my fishing, my favorite, "go to" rod is a 27 year-old Orvis Far and Fine: 7'9", 2 piece, 5 wt., unsanded blank. While I'm interested in all responses, I'm particularly intrigued by older models that have withstood the tests of time. Do you have one?

My favorit is the Sage RPL series. I have them in both 5 wt and 7 wt. and they both suite my casting style perfectly.

Jim Smith

Blog Entries

Tie - for different reasons:
    9' 5wt Hardy Zenith for a fast action;
    And Sage ZXL in same size for more relaxed casting stroke

I have two at the present time but they fit your description. All were made in Vermont many years ago by Cortland:

8' 6" Diamondback All American 2pc 5wt

9' Diamondback All American 2pc 7wt

I am still hunting for other Diamondback rods, like the ones above, that were built in Vermont. Even though Cortland closed the Vermont location and no longer make the Diamondback rods like the ones I have, I still fish them everyday and really enjoy them and hope to never break one.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Mine used to be my Far and Fine until recently. I pulled my son's 8' 6wt "Trout" Orvis superfine, 1984 vintage, out of the closet and spent some time casting it in the yard. Then I cast it side by side with the F-n-F with the same line and liked the "trout" rod better. Then I took it fishing...5wt with typical trout flies and 6wt lines with bass flies. Grace and power! Truely a do-it-ALL rod for me (except for fishing little mountain trickles and Stripped Bass on the other extreme). I just plain connected with the rod so I went and bought me one; an '82 vintage, 2pc downlocker with cork insert just like my son's '84. I like it so much, I am considering finding another...just in case you know? Pure aesthetic and functional balance with a made in England Hardy LRH!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Sage RPL 696 (is 19 years old enough?). Only problem - it's a 2-pc so it hasn't flown with me since 2000; that's about to be remedied.

Regards,
    Scott

WOW! Noticing where the responders are from, perhaps we need to have a vintage graphite Fish-in or gathering here in the Southeast!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Sage 8124.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

+ Reply to Thread