+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does fly line deteriorate?

Default Does fly line deteriorate?

I've got several boxes of lines that are getting up there - 4-5 years old. Don't really want to put them on if I don't have to, but will they continue to float and such if I just don't unbox them?

I'd think if you kept them away from sunlight & heat, the lines would be okay. I've got lines on my reels now that have been spooled for 4+ years and, with a cleaning once in a while, float just fine.

Regards,
    Scott

I think Scott P is probably right.

I have some lines that I used somewhat regularly that have shown little signs of wear while I have some that looked cracked after 1 to 2 years. I know there are different coatings by different manufacturers and this can/will effect the longevity of the line.

If they are a decent quality brand of line, say mid price range and up, you should be alright. That is provided they were in a cool, dry place with no or little exposure to U.V. or sunlight.

I had a cortland 333 3wt line that got smoke on it during a fire. A little Dawn diswashing liquid in luke warm water, some loon line dressing and it is fine.

You know I guess to accurately answer your question yes all lines deteriorate. The higher quality brands just deteriorate at a slower pace. How we take care of the line has a huge impact on the life of the line. An inexpensive line used to practice casting on the lawn probably will not last as long as a line used to present dry flies to rising trout.

At a local flyshop that I help with that has been in business 40 years. While going through some storage we found several boxes of flylines that dated from the early to mid 1990's. Cortland and Scientific Anglers lines. They were all perfectly fine and perfectly good. These were 15 to 20 year old lines still in the original packaging.

I have my first fly line from somewhere around 1968-1970. Still very fishable, spent most of its life in moderate temps out of sunlight.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

herefishy,
    As long as the line stayes out of direct sunlight for extended periods and does not get exposed to heat above 85 -90 degrees for long periods they will last a long time. Like uncle Jesse has an old line I was given some fly fishing stuff from along time fly client who past away. It had an old 1960's cortland 333 dt5 new in the box that look just as good as the day it was made. so i guess to answer your question yes they do but you can prolong it by taking care of them. At the shop I guide out of they have all the lines, tippet and leaders on a wall facing away fromt he windows so they are not exposed to too much sun light.

steve

My previous fly line was a cheaper SA line. After 3 years of life, the part of the line that spent its time on the water was a noticeably lighter shade of green. My rods/reels are always stored in a black rod tube. So I think quality really plays a part. Granted this line still works really well. I just have upgraded to a better line that casts a bit better.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

I've got a couple of Orvis lines that have been on reels since the early to mid 1990's but not fished very often, and they are still in fine shape. If yours are still boxed and haven't been stored where it gets too hot, they are probably still as good as new.

+ Reply to Thread