+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Winston Customer Service Sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Why would you have had so many rods which needed to be sent back?
    I am tough on my stuff. Doors, kids, leaving a rod in the boat while going down the highway and of course huge rod breaking trout. Seriously though, we all have bad experiences with a manufacture at one time or another. There is enough competition out there for our money and if we are dissatisfied with one, another would be happy to lighten our hearts and pocket books.

Loufly

Blog Entries

I have been fishing all my life; 40+ years fly fishing; and have never broken a rod (knock on wood). Now, my buddy breaks them frequently. I think the warranty programs have lulled the fisher into not being careful with his/her rods anymore. The warranty programs have not always been around. It seems they started in the 80's??

So, the careful fisher is subsidizing the not-so-careful fisher as we all pay the same amount for our rods (if purchased new).

This add for a new line of rods summarizes my point:

- If your Red Truck fly rod breaks due to manufacturer defect, of course we will replace the broken section or make appropriate replacement for the usable lifetime of your rod
    - If you break your Red Truck fly rod due to normal fishing, we ask that you pay the reasonable replacement price, comparable to the shipping and handling fees most manufacturers charge, for the section/s of the rod you (or your car door, or your four-legged friend) broke.
    In other words…
    Most fly rod brands build in an extra “insurance” cost on every fly rod they manufacture, knowing that this will cover the cost of the few who abuse their fly rods. For those who take care of their angling equipment, it’s pure profit for “The Man.”
    But what about you? You take great care of your fly rods and might never need a breakage warranty “built-in” to the retail cost of the rod.
    At Red Truck, we know that fly rods break, but we believe that you should only pay for what you use.

Now, none of this addresses the communications issue Hap had, but does, I think, make a point about warranty programs which should be entertained...................
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-05-2012 at 08:10 PM.

Hap please correct me if I am wrong but didn't I read somewhere that you do some guiding? If you are doing any guiding you are going to have rods get broken. Guess some other folks on here don't relize that.

I am with you Hap and don't get too frustrated. It never ceases to amaze me how some folks will taek a post totally out of it's original context just to give themsleves an excuse to get thier panyt hose in a twist with the originator of the thread. Early November and some of you are already going after each other with the Shack Nasties. Hap has a right to comment so knock it off, treat him with the respect that you owe him.

Well said!

Loufly

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Hap please correct me if I am wrong but didn't I read somewhere that you do some guiding? If you are doing any guiding you are going to have rods get broken. Guess some other folks on here don't relize that.

I am with you Hap and don't get too frustrated. It never ceases to amaze me how some folks will taek a post totally out of it's original context just to give themsleves an excuse to get thier panyt hose in a twist with the originator of the thread. Early November and some of you are already going after each other with the Shack Nasties. Hap has a right to comment so knock it off, treat him with the respect that you owe him.
    He has the right to comment, but when he brings it on a forum like this, what does he (or you) expect? Everyone else has the same right to comment, whether they agree with him or not.
    Fair is fair.

Blog Entries

hap is a big boy and will never be offended by those that want to disagree with him... really!

Non-warranty work at far more than the going rate... and done with minimal grunts to convey deep thoughts...

Spoke to a big name rod manufacturer yesterday and told them about the Winston deal and he had several interesting comments... They are much larger than Winston, btw...

They figure their average cost to replace a section on their best rods is right at $28 plus shipping... That is for USA made, hand-fitted rods. He thinks Winston is making a bad move by overcharging.

By the end of next year most USA made rod companies will have changed their warranties dramatically, and for the worse. While the rod sections do not cost much the labor costs are going to spike on them and it will favor offshore rod makers so greatly it will eliminate the USA made stuff. It is cheap enough and consistent enough that slapping a new tip on a rod is possible... not so with the USA made rods... Anyway, that was his opinion and he pointed to what several companies have done lately that indicate he is right.
    art

Blog Entries

Hap,
    I know how you feel. I had an experience this summer that makes me want to sue a company. Too long a story to tell here, though I would love to share it.

I also think some day there will be few rods made here. The manufacturing process is so good in other countries and the labor disparity so great that it will be too tempting to continue making them here - except for the niche companies.
    Hope I am wrong, but seems likely.

For what it's worth ...... I think the repair fee and the shipping is extremely high .... borderline ridiculous. I've had two rod repairs (2 different companies) over the past 6 years and neither company even got close to the rates you were given. One rod had a warranty and the other did not. I understand the rod you got repaired is considered to be a higher end rod, but I'm not sure a one piece section should cost as much as you were quoted. That's just my opinion. One other lament .... Customer Service appears to be a thing of the past for many businesses. You can still find it, but it's not what it used to be. My chili would be a little hot if I went through what you have gone through with Winston.

Some companies look at "customer service" as a revenue source. Sears was pioneer in this area and you can see where it got them.
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 11-07-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread