SERIAL NUMBER: xxxxxxx
TIP:1 MID: BUTT:
OTHER: NOT ORIGINAL OWNER PLEASE EMAIL FOR REPAIR APPROVAL
Cost of Repair: $ 132
Shipping & Handling: $ 50
Total: $ 182
Payment received: $0
Balance due: $182

We have received the above listed rod in our shop for repair. We will begin repairs as soon as possible. Payment arrangements must be made prior to the return of the repaired rod. Authorized dealers will be invoiced at the time of shipment.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying that you don't have some justification for feeling the way you do. Certainly a lack of response from Winston (either timely or non-existent) does not speak well for them. But here is my take on your email.

If you'll note, there is a colon after each (and every) item. As such, to me it indicates that one Tip is being repair, but there are no Mid or Butt sections being repaired as nothing follows their colons.

Could this be more clearly explained? Certainly. But I have to admit that you received back exactly what Winston indicated that they would repair, and that you apparently approved prior to them proceeding with it. So they met their obligation in the repair.

Was that repair worthy of the price charged? That's a debatable topic that would probably only result with a line in the sand being drawn, and everyone taking their side. Personal perception and finances most likely dictating where each stands. I'd personally have a hard time swallowing the price, but I'd have a hard time swallowing it if the rod came back even as you had expected.

In the end I agree with John_N that there are two sides, and think both sides bear some responsibility for the outcome here.

As a disclaimer: I always buy my rods new because I want the warranty and it is almost always for the original owner only. I also have a level of discomfort buying a previously owned rod with a blank warranty card and then sending that in. I'm not truly the original owner, so... If I want a warranty, I pay for it up front.

And yes, I'm a Winston fan, and have never experienced poor customer service from them. Quite the opposite in fact. So I am bias.

---David