+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Curious/ Rod finishing

Default Curious/ Rod finishing

For those of you that use to coats of finish on rods. Is your first coat more or less to just dampen and cover the thread? I used Threadmaster Lite.

It's been my feeling that each coat should be lite, with little buildup, till it "looks right" (as far as how many coats to apply).
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Yes, on the first coat I make sure that all threads are soaked with the finish and that I get the finish to fill under the wraps around the foot of each guide. You will still see the texture of the threads somewhat after the first coat. The second coat should build to the degree that you want. I like to just add enough so I don't see the texture of the threads on the second coat without getting it too thick.

Ted

I also use Threadmaster Lite and typically, 2 coats is adequate; however, I put it on kind of thick - in my opinion --- and use a paint brush to flow it around and taper it out to the edges as the rod is turning. There might be some isolated areas of thread still showing after the first coat. Typically I will lightly sand between coats. I did have one problem with Thread master that was not due to the material but was due to how much of part A and Part B that I mixed. I was not mixing enough material each time. I was only mixing 1/4 teaspoonful of each bottle each time - trying to cut down on waste - and this wasn't enough to start the reaction. Once I went to a teaspoonful each - of activator and what ever the other bottle / material is called, it went off quite well.
    The Thread Master lite seems to also be easier to use and finish nicer than flex Coat lite

I use Threadmaster, not the lite, but use sometimes only 1 cc each if I'm doing a repair and not a full job. It works fine.

+ Reply to Thread