+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Rod, Old Reel, New Fly Fisherman

Where are you -- geographicly? Lots of us have a good selection of lines and there might be someone local who could help you test out the rod to find the perfect line for it.As has been pointed out decent fly lines are not cheap.
    AgMD

Nope no local fly shops. Which is kinda strange as we live near a 10,000 acres lake with everthing from bass to roughy and is fed by 20 rivers and streams that frequently stocked with trout.

My choices boil down to Wally World or a trip to the Outdoor World/Bass Pro shop near Nashville. Oh yeah, I live in south central Ky in the foot hills, east of Bowling Green.

I e-mailed Daiwa in hopes that they might have some info.

Bass pro has a line $10.It is orange, but you need that color or something like it so you can see it well when just startin out.Then go to the yard,park,ballfield and practice.Read the basics section here on FAOL again and again ect.ect. The flycasting info is great.It has helped me alot(and I been at a while).
    The cheap line will sufice for the time being till you get the casting down and it is cheap when ruined in the grass and dirt.

Keep you tip up. Dennis

KY,

You might want to try to hook up with these guys:

[url=http://www.nkyflyfishers.org/:a6cc2]http://www.nkyflyfishers.org/[/url:a6cc2]

They used to have a affiliated group based in Stanford which is a little closer to you. They also have a message board with info on local waters.

Also, I think there's a pretty good fly shop in Lexington called "The Sporting Tradition".

Jonezee Gets first pick out of donut box and the first cup of coffee!!

Daiwa finally e-mailed me. The rod was offered and built in 1982 & 83 and uses a #7 line. Daiwa says "there should be a sticker next to the decal indicating this...."

HA NO Sticker! Just a decal...

Anyway Thanks to All...I am heading to Wally World and get some practice line (hopefully) and then going to spend my dollar on the Lottery numbers that Jonezee is going to provide in the next message...

The Numbers Are:

I don't think I'd recommend a cheapo line, even for practice. They can be a royal pain in the rear even for an experienced caster. A "good" line is only $45 and can potentially last you a couple seasons. You can learn how to cast just fine on a cheap rod, but if your line is coiling up and sinking when it's supposed to be floating, you're not going to have a very good time. If you get a decent double taper line, you can reverse it after mangling one end on your lawn.

I never set foot in real "fly shops" unless I have no choice. I prefer regular sporting good stores with fly fishing sections. Prices aren't as insane and sometimes the employees are less pretentious. Anyhow, if you buy a line from a sporting goods store or fly shop, you can probably get them to spin your reel up with backing, attach the line, and perhaps even knot up your first leader for you at no extra charge.

Ky_Caprines - Since you are south of mason dixon line I trust you. Winning numbers are....um..um....um...um..um...11 um..um 20..um..um..25..um..um..27..um..um..30..um..um and Power Ball number...um..um..13 !!!!! We of course will share winnings??? As Japanese ole time fly fisher once said.."Gambot Kudasai" (Go for it!!)

Your dah man...hope that # 7 line will bring in a big bass for you. Good luck, Jonezee

There is a website here called Global Dorber on the sponsor board to the left of here. They have a decent Aquanova line made in Canada for only $14.40. They have great deal on backing also. For around $20.00 they will ship to you and you will get deceent product. The knots sections here on FAOL will help you apply all to the reel and show how to attach leader. You need to be able to do these things yourself and not rely on someone else to "load" you up. Fly fishing is not rocket science and "Trout don't care what you paid for it".

One other thing. You need to get into that automatic reel and apply some lubricant to it. WD40 T-9, something to get the workings slicked up and performing for you. If you need more advise, please ask.

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 21 June 2006).]

The $10 lines from BassPro gave me very good service in warm water fishing. I think it would be great for lawn practice. The less expensive lines from local stores did not work as well for me. Fairplay for example, I avoid like the plague.

Once you decide on a line, keep it nice and clean.

Jim

Damn, Jonezee always gets the first doughnut.

+ Reply to Thread