+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About to Take an Interesting Trip

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default About to Take an Interesting Trip

I need to run a small boat, a 32' Nordic Tug, from Whittier to Seward, AK, about 200 miles as the chosen route runs. I intend to have perfect weather and stop along the way to fish for searun Cutthroats as far West and nearly as far North as they run. There are a couple places I have fished for them and intend to return. There will be some very late running salmon in several places and there is a possibility of saltwater lingcod, halibuit, and rockfish, on fly rods too.

Will be looking for bears, both black and brown, Sitka blacktail deer, and ducks, with appropriate tags and tackle available for them.

Being winter in Prince William Sound means there will be lots of ice and it will be chilly, wet, and potentially nasty. I may be hung up by weather along the way. But I will have a good time doing it. A friend from LA, CA is coming with me and possibly a local couple. We should have lots of room and a good time.

The boat is the same one we ran from Juneau to Whittier in '10, a run of about 800 miles.
    art

Best of luck to you, Art! I hope you'll be able to share a photographic journal of your trip with us afterwards!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Sounds like you're taking a page out of a Jack London novel. Please do post some pics.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

I will have more than a little camera gear along... I like boating in winter when the wind remains reasonable. I have had to live through hurricaine force winds off Kodiak on several occasions over the years and as long as we get none of that I will be happy!

I myself as well would indeed enjoy pictures of your trip.. I don't know if possible, reports along the way would be awesome !!!
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Blog Entries

Hap, is this what your lady looks like? http://nordictugs.com/images/models/nt_34/34_nice.jpg

Ed

+ Reply to Thread