Thread: Tenkara High Lake Food Forms - Caddisflies

Threaded View

Default Tenkara High Lake Food Forms - Caddisflies

Lake caddisflies are often very important to throut. However fishing with Tenkara tackle involves a slightly different approach than it does with western fly fishing tackle. I find, whether I am fishing with midge or caddis patterns, that larval imitations are not very effective fly patterns to fish with Tenkara tackle. In the case of the midges, the larva live inder the bottom sediments where they are unavailable to trout. And with caddis larva and dragon fly nymphs, the sedentary life style of these aquatic insects is just too taxing on my patience for me to be able to wait all the time it takes for the fly to sink all the way to the bottom of a lake, and then slowly crawl the pattern a cross the bottom in the hope of getting a strike before I loose the fly to a bottom snag. And with the caddis larva, the fish can pluch one out of the weeds or off of a rock any time they want one. I would much rather imitate insects moving towrd the surface of a lake, struggling to emerge through the surface film of the water, or resting on the surface of the water as an emerger or an addult dry fly insect with Tenkara Tackle.

I am going to post a link to an article on the hows, wheres, and whys of fishing lake caddis patterns in all of their various life stages. Typical western fly fishing tactics and fly lines are mentioned. And, for sure, there is a well earned place in Tenkara fly fishing for the use of a Floating Tenkara Fly Line as well. But I feel the use of sinking lines on Tenkara rods is a much more limited and much less efficient approach to fly fishing in lakes, partly because Tenkara rods lack the tip stiffness and general backbone needed to properly set the hook on a fish lying and taking deep in the water column. And also because it is so much more fun and so much more efficient to catch your fish close to and or on the surface of the lakes you fish. With that being said, here is the link to the article, including lots of pictures, on how to understand and fish the stillwater caddisfly's life stages and the patterns that imitate them: http://flyguys.net/blog/aquatic-ento...-caddis-sedges

While I carry a dedicated selection of Caddisfly Pupa patterns I have not used them much in years. I find that my Sheeps Creek patterns seem to catch trout just as well as the more caddis specific pupa patterns do, and also fish for other things besides that the caddis pupa patterns can't, so the Sheeps Creek patterns end up being the more useful and used fly patterns in my fly box.
    Last edited by Golden; 10-28-2012 at 02:46 PM.