+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Have Never Seen Wolves In Southern Wisconson.....until this year

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Have Never Seen Wolves In Southern Wisconson.....until this year

One in Richland County this summer and one giant black one wednesday trying to stalk some calves in Crawford County.
    Both were right on trout streams I frequent.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

I would expect some local farmers to use the same policy I heard indirectly from a lifelong rancher in Arizona combatting the wolf issue, "Shoot, shovel, shut up." Calves are easier to catch than fawns, but probably have more protective owners.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

As long as they aren't stalking you (or YOUR calves), that'd be pretty cool to see!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

The count for licensed kills is up to 23 and eight in the preditor area here in Wyoming. Have a pic of a track in my hunting area. Will put it here if I can. Reported a count of 20 to 25 in my area for hunting and some fishing.
    Wyo-Blizzard

The shell is a 270 Win.DSCN6765 (640x480).jpgThere was a smaller track with it, only the lenght of the bullet smaller.
    Wyo-Blizzard

California has had one off and on in Northern California for the past year or so. I would think that if there was one around, it would be great to have around. Sorry for the cattle ranchers, but killing such a beast would be a tragedy...
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    Sorry for the cattle ranchers, but killing such a beast would be a tragedy...
    I guess its a cultural thing but starting out on a small farm and working with cattle off and on until I was about 40, I find letting a wild animal kill young calves to be more of a tragedy than killing the wolf. The calf will grow to produce food either as a source of food itself, or by producing milk or as a breeding animal. I remember woring around a few calves, cows and bulls who were gentle enough to pet although I never knew anyone who really considered them as such. A wolf may look majestic running across a plain or slipping through the woods, but really contributes little other than maybe herd control on deer or other wild animals and makes life for hard working ranchers harder.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    Sorry for the cattle ranchers, but killing such a beast would be a tragedy...
    South Dakota went through the same debate with mountain lions a few years back. The Game and Fish folks proposed a mountain lion season since there were getting to be more and more every year, particularly in the Black Hills. Caused quite a heated debate. Every year they increased the number of cats that could be harvested. That also caused an uproar among some people.

Once the mountain lions started showing up in more and more towns, killing pets, and killing livestock, etc. as well as spreading across more of the state we don't hear much about it any more.

+ Reply to Thread