Allow me to slip back into my role as a hospitality loss prevention consultant. I am usually trying to protect the hotel but many of you will be traveling in the next 60 days and although I have never seen any of you I think of you as friends.

This is an issue all of us connected to the industry are very aware of this issue. The only advice I can give you at the moment is if you are traveling and staying at a hotel, ask the people at the hotel what brand of lock they have on they guestrooms. If they answer Onity, ask what they have done to resolve this problem. Check to be sure they have placed a cover over the port at the bottom of the lock before entering the room. Use your wife's compact mirror if necessary to see it. Onity is the only brand of lock with this problem. If they have Onity locks and have not addressed the problem, I would find another hotel.

http://www.insideedition.com/videos/828-hotel-locks-being-hacked-raises-alarm-for-major-hotel-chains

Hotel guests have always had some exposure as management had emergency keys where they could enter a room during an emergency. E-keys are managed very closely, I don't remember ever having one lost in 25 years working in the industry, but this is a situation that has been publicized by the mainstream media and therefore expanded the hazard to guest.