+ Reply to Thread

Thread: You be the judge..........

Blog Entries

Default You be the judge..........

I have ordered a desk stand in order to attach my Jvice to a piece of local monkeypod I had prepared here on Kauai.

The desk stand hasn't arrived yet. But, I need to drill a 10mm hole in the wood as the wood is nearly 2" thick and I don't want my vise too high.

So, the wood could be turned in either direction. Where should the hole/vise be placed???????

Let me know, please
    Byron

I would be very careful about asking this bunch to be a judge, you could end up hanged.

Buy a 3" cushion for your chair. I would put the vise base on the top and figure out where I wanted it before I started drilling holes in a pretty piece of wood.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Why would I be "hanged"? I could also lower the table. It is an adjustable one............ What a quandry........The other factor is I don't want the distance between the wood base and the jaws too short as some pedestal model vises are. That's why I did not care for the Able vise.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 10-24-2012 at 04:38 PM.

As a landscape designer I truly like it facing just as you have it. It's your piece and art is very subjective. Awesome wood.

Is the weight of the wood equally distributed?

Allan

Blog Entries

Yes, pretty much evenly.

AlanB Guest

That's a superb lump of timber. The best idea for it is don't use it for a vice base... Send it to me!
    My only concern with it would be the knot hole in the front top edge as your photo shows it. For that reason I'd spin it 180 degrees.
    What finish does it have on it?
    Cheers,
    A.

That is a truly fantastic piece of wood. If you decide to drill I would keep it the direction you have it in the photo. If you decide not to drill does that mean your J-Vice base will cover it up? Whatever you need to do to display that piece of nature's art go for it.

Blog Entries

A jvice desk stand is a small device that you screw into your table top or any surface - into which you then insert your vice stem. The "stand" simply supports the vice stem. It is used in lieu of the desktop "table" which comes with the jvice.

Bikebum:
    Here is a photo of one of the Jvice's desk stands. You could use it without drilling a hole. It is just that the wood I have is nearly 2" thick and, without a hole to "lower" the stem, it might be a bit high for me to use comfortably.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 10-25-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Beautiful piece of wood! Glad it is being used for something nice!

+ Reply to Thread