Thread: Retirement and Upcoming Move West

Threaded View

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    If I was just wanting to move I think I would rent something for a year in the Minden, Gardnerville area. Just because we visited once and was impressed. Buying something makes it more important to "get it right", but if you just rent you can get in the area and do a little more snooping around.
    Agree completely. Renting or leasing first is a great idea. ( Wish I'd thought of that Gary ! )

I'd also look for something within reasonable distances of interstate freeways and multi-carrier airports. It's a lot easier to visit someone when you only have a couple of days to do so, when the flight is accompanied by a short drive. Being several hours from an airport or an airport with limited service can make it hard on young families and friends to get in those quick / frequent visits.
    It's also nice to be located near lodging facilities, sometimes friends come to visit your area and wish to see you, but have extended family or other friends traveling with them, that might be a little to much for you to put up.

Make it fun, easy and reasonably inexpensive for family and friends to visit, by locating near an area that holds interest ( cultural, entertainment, outdoor / recreational activities, parks, business trips, etc. ) for others can help with the ( friends and family ) draw factor.
    That also reaps the benefit of making it easy and reasonably inexpensive for you to get out of Dodge when the mood strikes.

We hold annual Nevada and California fishing licenses, we look at fishing licenses ( wherever we go ) as a necessity of life rather than an extravagance.
    Being a Nevada resident trout angler who holds a basic N/R California license will currently run $159.14. The opposite will run $123.85.

Dave

Trout n' trains II_resize.jpg
    Peggy, packin' it in yesterday on a trout stream somewhere in Nevada.
    Last edited by Dave E; 10-21-2012 at 01:40 PM.