+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Numbering replacement parts

Hybrid View

Default Numbering replacement parts

Tenkara USA has just published a blog post showing a numbering system for ordering replacement parts. Please be aware that the Tenkara USA system is not the standard system used for ordering parts for Japanese tenkara rods.

If you need to order parts for Japanese rods, please be aware that the tip section is #1. The section next to the tip is #2 and so on.
    Tenkara Bum

So in a rod of N number of sections, the handle is always numbered as #N and then any section is numbered as #N-x, where x is the number of sections counted from the handle section (which is not counted). The tip is #N-(N-1), where x=N-1; and thus the tip is #1.

Gotcha! Just the math geek in me futzing around.
    Last edited by LynnMCF; 10-25-2012 at 06:08 AM.

Aw, Lynn, I'm trying to reduce the confusion.

For non math geeks:

Japanese rods count from the tip. The tip is #1. The section next to the tip is #2 and so on. The handle section is counted (when you get to it).

Tenkara USA rods count from the handle section. The handle section is #1 and is counted. The section next to the handle is #2 and so on. However, the tip and the two sections closest to the tip are not counted, but instead are the "tip set."

Fountainhead rods don't need a numbering system because you send the whole rod to Fountainhead, which replaces any broken parts, checks the rest of the rod for damage and sends it back.

Sakura rods don't need a numbering system because "Sakura rods don't break." And no, I don't believe it either even though the US rep has repeatedly assured me they don't. I know at least one did.

I do not know how other manufacturers/importers count sections, if they do.
    Tenkara Bum

We follow suite with the Japanese Chris, counting from the tip down to the grip. We stock the tip and second section for all of our current rods and yes we count the tip as #1, second as #2 and so on. I have parted out a couple rods as well to replace other sections as needed...so far that has only been for folks that have stepped on the rod breaking individual sections. Lesson to be learned folks? Please DON'T set your rod on the ground! Sure fire way to break it and or fill it with gunk, grit, sand that will chew it up.

I like to if possible have customers send their rods back to us for replacement/repair as I really like to be able to look the rod over for any other damage that may not be evident without a thorough check up. And like Chris we don't sell "spare" parts.

Paul
    Last edited by Tenkara-Fishing; 10-18-2012 at 11:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread