+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken Tip

Default Broken Tip

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or latter. I broke the tip of my Nissin ProSquare Super 6:4 4510 tenkara rod. It broke just below the lilian. I had just tied a knot back into the lilian so I could use the Sempai Furled Line I got from Chris at Tenkarabum. I had already had the line come off without a the knot and almost lost it for good. While tightening the girth hitch down I heard a snap like a pencil breaking. Pull the rod tip up and inspect it. Sure enough, I broke the tip just below the lilian. So, now I need to get a replacement tip and lilian. I contacted Plat about purchasing a replacement tip and I am waiting to hear back from them. In the meantime I need a replacement lilian so I can still enjoy my rod till the replacement tip gets here. Any suggestions in repairing? Thanks in advance.

Mike P.

Chris @ Tenkara Bum usually has lillian available

John
    Tenkara Guides LLC
    Last edited by JohnnyV; 10-10-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Mike -- I'll send you a lillian. As you know, I'm practically down the road from you. One day service regular mail. I have your address and can mail it tomorrow. Interested? ~Paul

you can also use 30lb backing as "ersatz" lilian in the meantime.

Thanks Paul. I am very grateful.

I got the replacement tip ordered. Not sure if it comes with the lilian but hopefully it does. Now I am just waiting for the lilian Paul is sending me so I can get the old tip repaired. At least I am not as bummed out about it anymore.

Mike, me boy, it should be in your mailbox today -- maybe already there.

How many Ls in lillian/lilian, two or three? Maybe that is a question with no real answer since the word is only a translation of a Japanese character (ideograph) that has no letters. I spell it with three Ls, without giving it much thought.

Lillian definitively has 3 Ls. That is per Google Translate, which is the origin of "lillian" to begin with. Lillian is Google's English translation of Japanese pronunciation of an English phrase. (Ever play "telephone" as a kid? What comes back to you is never even close to what you started with.)

Lillian started out as "lily yarn" which was called that because the shape the cord takes as you are weaving it looked like the shape of a lily flower. (Young Japanese girls all used to have a toy with which they could weave the cord.) When "lily yarn" is written in Japanese, it is written as リリアン. Japanese has no "L" sound and no "rn" sound, so it is written as ree-ree-yah-nn. Google is smart(?) enough to know that reereeyahnn is meaningless in english, but that "lillian" is written as リリアン, so リリアン comes out as lillian when run through Google Translate.

Early on, I knew that to be precise "lillian" should be translated as lily yarn, but it was just so much easier to leave it as lillian and not have to explain why when people looked at Japanese web sites it was referred to as lillian and I was writing about lily yarn. So, it's all my fault and I take full responsibility.
    Tenkara Bum

Chris, that is a wonderful read. How glad I put my lillian/lilian musing on the forum. Google is adding words our language as well as doing other ingenious things with it.

Hey, Mike, next time you bust a tip, you can request some lily yarn. We'll know what you mean.

+ Reply to Thread