+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who Needs Trout

Default Who Needs Trout

Who needs trout when you have white bass. The closest trout stream to me is a little over an hour away. It is also a very pressured tail water fishery that is stocked with put and take rainbows. They also stock this with brown trout that will hopefully hold over and survive year to year. I hit the tailwaters Monday to try out my snatchers and was only able to manage one brown in the net.

So instead of going back to try my luck again today I hit a local creek to try my luck with the warmwater fishes. First spot I hit I managed a couple small gills and that was it. After a hour I went to another spot. Water level has been low all year which made access easier with better fishing areas. After walking the bank to find the holes I found a spot to fish. Did not see much activity in the clear water but decided to give it a try. I got a few hits before finally hooking up with a white bass.

The action was slow in this spot so decided to move down to another area. Moving turned out to be a good thing. I seen activity in the water and some fish hitting the surface. The action changed between being real active to slow at times. The first time the action slowed I decided to fish 2 flies. This was a blast but also a pain. If you have every fished for white bass you know they follow the one that is hooked looking to get a piece that falls off. I had about 10 doubles of white bass on but only landed one double. I landed close to 50 white bass in 3 hours of fishing. Even though they where small they where still fun on the Nissin Prosquare.

All white bass where around these sizes and where returned. I was hoping to caught a few crappie but none decided to come out to play. I did manage a small LMB about 10" in the mix of Whites. I may be going back again tomorrow to try my luck again.

Mike P.

This is a 12 1/2 large mouth bass caught on an Iwana 12' with a Parachute Adams fished wet Tuesday. I caught it in the local city park pond.
    photo.jpg
    Last edited by billhouk; 10-11-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Those last two look like they are as large as your trout was. I'm all for fishing small local ponds and streams. The fish might be smaller (and they might not!) but you generally have fewer other fisherman and often have more fish. With the right rod it's still a lot of fun. I bet a double on white bass put a bend in that ProSquare!
    Tenkara Bum

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

I relocated to Indiana (Bloomington) about six years ago, and really miss the trout streams of the West. So I'd probably answer the "Who needs trout" question with, "I do."

I too fish the tailwater you referenced when I can, but have never tried to do so with a Tenkara rod. In fact, I have never fished a Tenkara rod. But I can imagine what it might be like to catch White Bass on one.

While I can't say that I have a burning desire to try Tenkara rods, as Bill appears to be in Speedway, and Mike appears to be in Greenwood, I may have to hook up with one of you two sometime and see what this Tenkara stuff is really all about. Also, where are you guys "touching" these rods? I've never noticed them in Wildcat Creek or Fly Masters. (The only two fly shops I am aware of in the area.)

---David

Maybe the right question is "Who's got trout?"
    For warmwater fishermen (for me that's Louisiana and Florida) the only options for trout are a long drive (Arkansas or Oklahoma or the Guadeloupe).
    So...having caught trout up to 20+ inches and having caught bluegill up to 11+inches, I'll take the bluegill for fight.
    I've had trout go acrobatic, but never as much as a LMB.
    And then there's saltwater species. Comparing trout to a redfish really isn't a fair comparison.
    That being said, I REALLY like fishing the Rockies. Trout are a challenge and the scenery is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah David View Post
    I relocated to Indiana (Bloomington) about six years ago, and really miss the trout streams of the West. So I'd probably answer the "Who needs trout" question with, "I do."

I too fish the tailwater you referenced when I can, but have never tried to do so with a Tenkara rod. In fact, I have never fished a Tenkara rod. But I can imagine what it might be like to catch White Bass on one.

While I can't say that I have a burning desire to try Tenkara rods, as Bill appears to be in Speedway, and Mike appears to be in Greenwood, I may have to hook up with one of you two sometime and see what this Tenkara stuff is really all about. Also, where are you guys "touching" these rods? I've never noticed them in Wildcat Creek or Fly Masters. (The only two fly shops I am aware of in the area.)

---David
    David, Flymastars is selling the TFO Soft Hackle Tenkara rod. When I bought my first rod I had to do so with no hands on. It took me over a year and half to finally break down and buy one. I am glad I did. If you want to get toghter to try out a rod or two just let me know. I am sure we could find time. Also Pual Arnold who post on here is from Blomington and has some tenkara rods.

Mike P.

+ Reply to Thread