+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing hackle for caddis imitations of the Rocky Mountains

Default Purchasing hackle for caddis imitations of the Rocky Mountains

My questions. What color of hackle do you use most in tying caddis patterns?

Jeff

Coachman brown for Trudes, Clacka Caddis, and Trude Cripples.
    Golden Straw-dyed grizzly for tan and olive caddis dries
    light ginger or barred ginger for Nectopsyche aka the blond caddis on the Firehole

That's it. In flat water or with tiny caddis your first choice should probably be an Iris or X-Caddis anyway, and in rough water you'll catch more fish on a bigger fly or a CDC & Elk most of the time.

Longs for Cutts.

You mentioned the Golden Straw-dyed Grizzly. Do you dye it yourself or purchase from a retailer.
    1) If you purchase from a retailer, which retailer and brand of hackle?
    2) If you dyed it yourself, what's the recipe of dye for the Straw coloration?

Interesting that I didn't see you mention a dun colored hackle, maybe a med or dark dun. I would have certainly thought it would have made the list. I'm trying to keep the hackle selection basic since I'm re-entering the tying realm again and I know it's easy to be a little too carried away.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Jeff

I am a commercial tyer and generally buy direct from Whiting through my shop (or from folks like Jim's Fly Co who will cut me a break). That said, if I see something perfect, I can't resist.

I think hackle on mayflies generally suggests wing and leg color first, then motion. On caddis it's almost all motion, which grizzly does perfectly. You could probably tie any hackled caddis with straight grizzly and catch 80% as many fish as some more specific color.

Brown. Dyed-grizzly is nice, but harder to find.

LFCutts,

I like Jim's website. I have been checking out his stuff for the past month or so. With over 1000 Whiting products I figured ole Jim might have a good selection, whadda' say? Talked to the BRF staff over the past week and it was mention their inventory would probably be low til April-ish of next year due to the off season.

Since you mentioned motion and hackle representing legs or wings, I know the question has probably been pounded (to death) over the years, in terms of imitating adult mayflies are wings necessary for fishing sake and if not, would you choose hackle the color of the legs or the wings if you were not planning to tie in any wings per se? Like tail, body and hackle only sort of simple dries...

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Brown. Dyed-grizzly is nice, but harder to find.
    Brown Grizzly is a pretty color. I sort of liked a lighter color too that I rarely see anymore it's a sort of tannish grizzly. I think Whiting termed it March Brown.

Whiting has produced some beautiful stuff, natural and dyed.

Poor ole' Santa might have to stuff his sack with feathers

Quote Originally Posted by Longs for Cutts View Post
    ..... You could probably tie any hackled caddis with straight grizzly and catch 80% as many fish as some more specific color.
    You could be correct. It might be we have entered into the realm of what is needed to make the angler fetch is wallet and hand over his or her $ instead of what is actually asked of the angler by the fish.

Jeff

How do you dye a Golden Straw Grizzly? It must be tough getting those little black stripes.
    It might be easier the other way around.

Take what Wally says to the bank.

Had good luck with barred cream, too:

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread