+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini-streamers

Default Mini-streamers

I am tying some mini Clousers on #12-14 hooks. Bead chain eyes ultra small. I love to catch trout in relatively fast waters, also pocket waters, replacing the usual nymph or dry techniques for those waters. Just fast casts, not more than 1 false cast. Did you try really small streamer fishing sometime? I find it very funny and productive.
    R.

Tiny Clousers work really well for Crappies and Bluegills, too!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Yah, I've used small Mickie Finns and other bucktail streamers with success. I've also tied down some matuka type streamers. Typically, though, I'll tie them on size 10 2x shank hooks, but 12s have worked well at times too.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Not technically a streamer but a fly that uses strip of hair in it is Borgers Strip Nymph designed to imitate the burrower type mayflies. I have been thinking of tying up a few in the future due to the action that is incorporated into the fly by the strip of rabbit or maybe even a mini strip of squirrel

Another Jeff...

I like the golden retriever in pink, I guess you would call it a streamer, it is a small woolly bugger...
    http://www.mossycreek.com/customtyedflys/goldenretriever.html
    http://www.mossycreekflyfishing.com/media/virginia-fly-fishing-videos.aspx

"Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I love fishing micro streamers...just a #16 scud hook with a silver tag, red body, and a very few buck tail hairs as a wing, maybe 5/8" total length. They are great small stream flies, and also great on larger streams where the fish are a bit skittish.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

AlanB Guest

Just in the process of tying some up for Sea Trout on Loch Brora. I'll be there Friday. So far I've got Teal Blue and Silver and Sinfoil's Fry done. I'll be adding to these my Silver Rough Fly and some small Clousers.

Sinfoil's Fry.

Teal Blue and Silver.

Silver Rough Fly.
    I'll post the other flies and when I have them done and a report after Friday's outing.
    Cheers,
    A.

Hi All,

I fish a lot of small streamers for bluegill and other panfish. Normally I tie a small bugger without any hackle, and with a very small bead head. I often tie these on 3X long hooks, mostly in sizes #10s and #12s.

Regards,

Gandolf

One of my favorite micro "streamers" is the Bird's nest nymph. Hit on this by accident though in retrospect it seems obvious as the pattern does have a sort of fishy profile as do other nymph patterns. One day on a river when going through my standard nymphing ritual I started getting grabs when the fly was doing anything except dead drifting. A lot of small fish of some sort were visible in calmer sections of the water. After a few grabs the light bulb went on. I now often use bird's nests in sizes 16 - 8 as streamers.

I like these mini matukas tied with chickaboo and a soft hackle on a dubbed body

IMGP0733 resized.jpg
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread