+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage ZXL being D/C'd

Default Sage ZXL being D/C'd

Looks like both Cabelas and MRFC have the ZXL (and the vantage and flight) on mark downs..... http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShop...x?CategoryID=4

Good time to buy or will the next thing be even better?

There are a lot of nice rods out now, the BVK, the orvis Access, the St Croix rods, even Cabelas has a 3M matrix rod.... But wasnt the ZXL the ultimate dry fly rod once....
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I think the Superfine Touch is a better dry fly rod. And for slightly less money at retail than the ZXL is on close out, my choice would be easy. Of course opinions are, well we know, everyone has one. Nothing wrong with the zxl, I just prefer the SFT. Your mileage may vary

Blog Entries

I got a 9' 5wt ZXL on the advice of Jon Juracek of Blue Ribbon Flies. I really like the rod! When I was in Blue Ribbon Flies in mid-sept, Jon was there and he mentioned the rod being discontinued. He was amazed that they did that as he too really enjoys that rod.

Blog Entries

I have the 6 wt 9 ft ZXL and it is my main dry fly rod for larger rivers. It is a medium action rod, one of only a few that Sage has made over the years, and it casts great and is a fantastic rod. While it is a medium action it does have the backbone to toss large dries on large rivers even in a strong wind, which is why it is my number one dry fly rod for the rivers of Montana and eastern WA.

Since it is now on the way out that means there would be a nice discount for the rod, which means now is a great time to buy the ZXL if you want a great casting medium action trout rod.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Well then, what better time to buy a Hardy. The Zenith is a fantastic rod in all weights. It is, however, a faster action rod. If you prefer a slower rod, I would suggest a Hardy Marksman 2. I have this one in a 4 and 6 weight. This rod is absolutely stunning and a great caster. Happy shopping.

+ Reply to Thread