I can fish the Wind River in parts year around, due to 2 warm springs (Lava Creek and Warm Springs Creek) that flow into it just outside of Dubois, and one cold spring (Jakey's Fork) that flows into it on the other side of town. It's also fishable just below Boysen Dam before you get back into reservation land, and if one is inclined to purchase a reservation permit, Wind River Canyon is fishable year around.

My local haunts shut down, as the rivers ice over, and the roads into the mountains close to wheeled traffic in December. 2 Hours away is the N. Platte @ Grey Reef which is almost always fishable, save the couple of really cold weeks that will ice up nearly all the way to the dam. Fishing the reef in the winter is true 20" on a 20 fishing with midges and rockworms.

Personally, I generally call it a year around thanksgiving and get back out in early March. I use those couple of months to recuperate and tie flies for the next season. One thing I learned on this trip, was that I let my box become way to low on BWO's in the sizes for fall time. I keep plenty of 16's but only had a couple 18 and 20's tied up. I might get out on the odd day during Christmas break, having that week off work, but normally I'm sated.

I also thought it was interesting that the brown took the sz 16 caddis in that picture and not the BWO trailing it.

The only water that truly shuts down due to G&F regulations is Flat Creek on the refuge and of course Jellystone fishing.

That was one of the nice things about this trip. I walked away from the river in the middle of a BWO hatch and felt satisfied. It's one of those things I love about fall fishing. I am normally able to walk away from the river not only totally relaxed, but also truly satisfied. Many fishing trips, I feel that I didn't spend enough time fishing for the day.