Hi Len,

Thanks for the updates you send. My fall field projects are underway, and I?m looking forward to see how the trout populations we monitor have held up with the hot and dry summer. I?m expecting to see lower water levels (we collect hourly water level data on a number of streams) and possibly correspondingly lower abundances and sizes of trout.

I want to bring to your attention our new effort to collect data from anglers on gill lice presence/absence in Wisconsin trout streams. We recently were awarded a DNR Citizen-Based Monitoring grant to set up a website to collect angler observations. The ?we? is me, Sue Marcquenski, Matt Kreuger and Laura MacFarland (River Alliance of Wisconsin) and Kim McCarthy (Trout Unlimited). The website is hosted by TU and is now up and running:

http://wisconsintu.org/gilllice

I don?t think there is a link yet to the gill lice page from the wisconsintu.org home page, but there should be soon. For now you have to use the above direct link.

If you have any personal observations, feel free to either enter them online or send them directly to me. I?m currently monitoring gill lice infection rates in a number of trout populations, and any information we get from anglers may help in expanding our research.

Feel free to pass along the information on our new effort to collect angler observations on gill lice. There will be an article in the upcoming issue of Wisconsin Trout as well, and we?ll re-publicize the project before the start of the 2013 trout season.

Thanks,

Matt

Matthew G. Mitro, Ph.D.
Coldwater Fisheries Research Scientist
Wisconsin DNR, Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences Research Section
Science Operations Center, 2801 Progress Rd.
Madison, WI 53716
[IMG]chrome://skype_ff_extension/skin/numbers_button_skype_logo.png[/IMG]608-221-6366 phone
[IMG]chrome://skype_ff_extension/skin/numbers_button_skype_logo.png[/IMG]608-221-6353 fax
matthew.mitro@wisconsin.gov