+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing and motorcycles?

Default Fishing and motorcycles?

I'm sure there are motorcyclists on this site, and I'm curious to know if people use their rides for fishing. If you do, how do you carry your gear? I bought my first bike in almost 30 years and of course I see it's potential as a fuel efficient and fun way to get out there. I'm especially interested in how to carry 2-piece rods if anyone has rigged anything. Basically, I'm fishing for ideas.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

My younger brother used to use his bike for fishing a lot. His solution was to buy a two piece 5"3" Fenwick glass rod that broke down into a very packable 34" plastic case. It is a very nice casting five weight that I bought from him when he gave up fishing for golf.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I use a bike to access fishing areas also. I have a 5-piece rod that I put in the back pocket of my vest. If the weather is cool, I wear my waders. If it is hot, I wear my wading boots and wade wet.

I would think that a helmet could be an issue with the motorcycle if you don't have a storage area on the bike where you can lock it up.

Ted

While I no longer have my bike so I can't show it but I had two different ways to carry a 2 piece one was like a rifle, use a shoulder strap carried cross chest. Or mount a couple of pieces of PVC pipe on the frame, the rear section open and the front with a cap. Mount them to the frame at a slight angle so the rear is higher than the rear and just slide your tube in. If you want you could add a stretch cord or some other way to secure the rod case. I didn't use one due to the angle the rod tube would not fall out. A back pack carried everything else.

I think the rifle style might be viable. The style of the bike doesn't lend it's self to mounting a tub on the frame, plus this would definitely not be a primary or regular fishing vehicle, but so often a good ride goes through good places to fish. It definitely has no practical off-road capability.

Of course, I may just have to build a five-piece or two.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford

6. Default

I ride a V Star classic & usually take 4 piece rods bungied to the sissy bar. The rest of my 'stuff' goes in the bags. Enjoy the best of both worlds!

My bike is a Shadow Spirit 750 and has no accessories yet. I plan to add the sissy bar this winter, but I haven't decided about bags yet. My flyfishing kit is pretty minimal, just a small shoulder bag and a pair of hip waders, so I'm thinking the small sissy bar will give me the anchor point I can use for a small duffel and a rod tube. I can lock the helmet to the bike, but I have to figure out how to secure my boots and jacket while I'm fishing.

+ Reply to Thread