+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #22 Blue Winged Olive

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default #22 Blue Winged Olive

"Caught" this fellow on the Henry's Fork a week ago. The thing that strikes me is the fairly obvious segmentation of the abdomen even in such a tiny sized fly. Think I will use a yellow thread for ribbing even on this size in the future.

Neat pix here and on the spinner thread, Byron. With the droopy tails and floppy wing, it strikes me that this little guy must be quite freshly emerged ??

John
    The fish are always right.

I am still in the novice stage when it come to aquatic insects, do BWO not grow quite a bit larger in some area? I remember seeing or hearing someone mention them up to a size 12.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

BWO covers a multitude of species. I believe some of the European mayflies so described are larger than most of ours in the U.S.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I am still in the novice stage when it come to aquatic insects, do BWO not grow quite a bit larger in some area? I remember seeing or hearing someone mention them up to a size 12.
    Jesse -

It seems to me that most of the BWOs that I've seen in the Intermountain West and Northern Rockies are a size 18, or thereabouts.

There is a tiny BWO presently on my home water in Northern Idaho that is about the size of the one Byron shows, maybe even a bit smaller. It used to be called a psuedocleon, but has been reclassified to a more difficult latin name that I don't recall, offhand. I wouldn't even try to match it with a dry fly 'cause I can't tie dry flies that small. I did fish a small ( think it was a 22 ) emerger pattern on that hatch yesterday and did hook a couple fish with it, and had a couple hit it but not hook up.

John

thanks for showing me the segmentation, inspired me to add it to this #26. I haven't fished it yet, hope it will get approved.
    PA050428.jpg

Lightbulb Really don't like tying ...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ...There is a tiny BWO presently on my home water in Northern Idaho that is about the size of the one Byron shows, maybe even a bit smaller. It used to be called a psuedocleon, but has been reclassified to a more difficult latin name that I don't recall, offhand. I wouldn't even try to match it with a dry fly 'cause I can't tie dry flies that small. I did fish a small ( think it was a 22 ) emerger pattern on that hatch yesterday and did hook a couple fish with it, and had a couple hit it but not hook up.

John
    ... small flies, but gave it a go this morning. These were tied on a size 22 1X short hook, which makes them about size 24.

Fished them this afternoon to the tiny BWO hatch. The problem with such small flies, for me, anyway, is that most of the fishies that hit them do not hook up. This one did.

The other five that hit one of those tidbits splashed and jerked the line a bit, then went bye-bye. But it was fun.

John

Byron,

Have you thought about using this for a Baetis/BWO abdomen -in yellow/olive ?

http://www.cascadecrest.com/index.ph...emart&Itemid=2

I'm working on 18 different Baetis/BWO patterns, at the moment, to cover the olive/gray variant I frequently run into on the Eastern slope of the Sierras ( and in other areas, as well)...

The BOX....half - FULL

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 10-07-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries

... small flies, but gave it a go this morning. These were tied on a size 22 1X short hook, which makes them about size 24.

Fished them this afternoon to the tiny BWO hatch. The problem with such small flies, for me, anyway, is that most of the fishies that hit them do not hook up. This one did.

The other five that hit one of those tidbits splashed and jerked the line a bit, then went bye-bye. But it was fun.

John

John

Where did you get that real big fake dime????

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    John

Where did you get that real big fake dime????
    I gotta get me one of those magic show dimes...and find out where he's catching these taimen size trout.
    I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
    - Frank Sinatra

+ Reply to Thread