+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frame / Pontoon alignment

Default Frame / Pontoon alignment

Just in case I don't get that Nucanoe I want, I was looking at my pontoon hanging in my basement. The front edge of the seat is a few inches forward of the logo on the side which I assume is centered. I probably should check that rather than assume. I have never used my pontoon a lot usually opting for my float tube, what is the proper alignment and how important in rowing is it?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

If you set your frame on it, I would line the seat up with the center of the 'toons. Then when you get to the lake, sit in it and have someone take a picture of it with you in it. That way you can see how it floats. Keep it level by moving your frame forward or backard. If you put a motor on it, you'll have to move the frame forward to compensate for the extra weight on the rear.
    As for oars, and rowing, center yourself and go for it.
    Last edited by Mojo; 11-06-2012 at 09:38 PM.

I would say that it is pretty important to have the frame on a pontoon properly adjusted on the tubes. However, from a rowing perspective, I've found that they are so easy to row that if you have it a little out of kilter you probably won't even notice the effect on rowing.

As Mojo says, balancing is best done once you and your gear are loaded in the boat. However, I don't know that it's necessary to have someone take a picture of you in it. If you aren't able to determine this visually, I suppose you could also always put a level on it.

Proper balance for the pontoon boat should be such that it floats evenly to slightly forward. Also, it's important to keep the weight evenly balanced from side to side.

John

A picture is worth a thousand words. I agree totally. I was able to put a battery and a motor on a 6' pontoon and get it level because of a picture. That and the fact I don't carry a level in my gear

I noticed this weekend, the temperature in the basement, where my 'toon hangs by it's footrest, has dropped enough so the pontoons are no longer tight and have dropped toward the rear of the frame. I guess I have an alignment job to do more than before. I think you can see it in this photo.
    Pontoon storage 2.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

It might be perfect for a battery and motor. That is the bad thing about the two pontoons and a frame. However, I have marked with a water proof sharpie where my frame needs to sit on my X5. Although on my X5 it really doesn't matter where you put the frame. You will have to adjust on the water with someone else telling you how it sits.
    Then just mark where the frame is.
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 11-18-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Once you have it aligned where you want it, make a mark or two on the toons so the next time you have to adjust it, you know where to put the frame. That also helps ensure that the left and right pontoons are in the same location.

Gee wish I had thought of that.......

+ Reply to Thread