+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who deserves a Green Jacket?

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

Default Who deserves a Green Jacket?

In the vernacular of the world of fishing rods, we often have three terms that get bantered about: Designer, Maker, and Builder. In this thread I really don't want to get into where the line should be drawn as to who is a Designer, who is a Maker and who is a Builder. I'll just simply state that for my purposes here, a Designer draws the plans for the blank, a Maker makes the blank, and the Builder "assembles" all the components onto a blank completing the rod. So an individual can participate (and be) in one, two, or all three of those disciplines. But regardless of the discipline(s) chosen, I believe very few individuals will rise to a level in their art/craft that they would be considered a Master by the general populace of the angling community.

What a "Master" is, and what differentiates them from the "Apprentice" is what I'm exploring in this thread. Is it based on the actual number of rods? (So what about the production Builders/Makers doing hundreds of rods a year?) Is it the amount of time they've been doing their craft? Is it the quality of the work alone, and if so, can an individual be a Master and a neophyte at the same time? Perhaps it is the level of public acceptance/recognition of their work that makes a Master? (So a large Marketing Department is a real advantage?) Or maybe it's the combination of exceptional skill/workmanship in all three disciplines. (So if you are exceptional in two but lacking in one... no Green Jacket for you?)

When I hear/read others refer to a Master, they generally don't "qualify" that designation. They simply state that the individual is "a Master". Granted, it is usually within the context of a discussion, so the term is applied to the topic at hand. But when it comes to fly rods, there is potentially a lot of overlap between the various disciplines, and things can get foggy pretty quickly.

As an example... If Tom Morgan were to be designated a Master, would he be a Master Rod Designer, but not a Master Builder, or Master Maker because he doesn't actually "make" or "build" the rods? Or would he just be referred to as a Master in the general context of fly rods regardless of that fact, and no "qualifier" is necessary?

Please note that I am not suggesting or implying anything in relation to Tom Morgan. I just believe he is highly respected in the angling community, and he exemplifies some of the issues associated with "designating" someone as something. So he makes for a great example.

What I really want to know is: What do you consider to be the benchmark(s) an individual must meet to be considered a Master, and if that "Master" designation should indeed have a qualifier?

---David
    Last edited by Utah David; 10-02-2012 at 10:02 AM.

"You can be what ever you want to be."
    Swamp Witch Extraordinair <waving her maaa-vallos broom in the air>
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

well I think fame has a lot to do with it, but it shouldn't.

I found that in the world of fly fishing, usually just calling yourself a master is all that's needed. And, if you write a book, you're an expert and know everything. Me, I'm a 58 year-old learner and hope to learn until the day I die. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    I found that in the world of fly fishing, usually just calling yourself a master is all that's needed. And, if you write a book, you're an expert and know everything. Me, I'm a 58 year-old learner and hope to learn until the day I die. JMHO
    Plus one on that learning thing!!

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Green jackets are award for knock balls into holes with the least amount of effort and the highest amount of skill and luck for 3 days. Any number of people have a good 3 days' effort in their life, are you not really ask who deserves to be in the Fly Rod Hall of Fame? HOF members generally contribute over a long period of time and in most sports include the field and the pitchers and the hitters and the quarterbacks and the running back, and the tackles, etc. Is not that really your question?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

The Masters (including the reference to their green jacket) is just a play on words, and not meant to be a direct correlation here. In fact, really everything preceding the final paragraph is simply to place some context into what I ask in the final paragraph.

In reference to your question Uncle Jesse... The only Hall of Fame that I am aware of that might apply here, is the one associated with the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum (CFFCM). And while I certainly respect all the current inductees and would likely consider them to be Masters. I would not want to impose that sort of limitation as part of the criteria for my initial question.

Being an inductee of the Hall of Fame may be considered by some as the benchmark for being a Master. But there may be individuals that others consider Masters that will never be an inductee as well. So I think I'll keep my question as generic as it currently stands.

---David

When it comes to Rod Building I can say at one time I was a "Master" and I was not the one who said so, but after many years of not building I see the work that is being done on the board here and I AM AMAZED. I was never that good!! The photos shown on the board here really do show incredible work. I have been very impressed with what I see here. KUDOS to those "Masters" now showing their stuff on the board.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Blog Entries

Has anyone seen the work that Charlie Reading (of Reading's Fly Shop in Missouri) does in rod building? I don't think I have seen better work anywhere. However, if you happen not to know him and his work, you would not be able to compare someone you know with him. He is the first rod builder I ever saw using feathers and gold hooks and gold or silver chains in his decorations on rods - this was back in the 70's I recall. He has even built wedding rings into his rods. I had a couple rods made by him and they are works of art.

Byron,

I've seen Charlie's work. Very nice. He made rods for presidents Carter and Bush (41st). I grew up about an hour away from there.
    He does do nice work. He's a great guy to talk to. He has a lot of knowledge and doesn't mind sharing it.

Brian

+ Reply to Thread