+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 beginners only fly swaps applications are now open

Default 2013 beginners only fly swaps applications are now open

DECEMBER 20TH UPDATE:

Have added two new members to these 5 fly swaps, since I do not hold a December Fly Swap you can still get in on the November Soft Hackle Fly Swap, by sending in you Soft Hackle Flies (12) along with your Nymph Flies for the January Nymph Swap

There is only one position still open for membership! The next four fly swaps starts on January 1st 2013. You can still apply for the remaining fly swaps during the month of December, email me at
    parnelli@comcast.net Subject Beginner's Only Fly Swaps. Once you join I will mail out the package for these swaps, and during December you can dress the November Soft Hackle and mail it in with the January Nymph Swap Fly Patterns, or you can start with the January Nymph Swap, your choice. These swaps are for those new to fly tying, and to those who have never joined in a FAOL Fly Swap. ~Parnelli

November ~ Soft Hackle Wet Fly
    January ~ Nymph Fly
    February ~ Dry Fly
    March ~ Streamer Fly
    April ~ Terrestrial Fly

All flies need to arrive before the last day of the monthly fly swaps.

As Swapmeister I supply the following to members of these 5 fly swaps....
    • Pre-addressed envelopes for mailing the fly patterns in, and for mailing the fly patterns back.
    • Cardboard box for securing fly patterns for the fly swap patterns
    • FAOL Fly Pattern CD.
    • Toe-Tags for placement on the bend of each fly submitted for the swaps.
    At the end of each monthly swap I email a listing of all fly patterns submitted to each member of the swap in pdf format (requires abode reader).

There are only 10 positions open for these five fly swaps. Each member of the swap will submit 12 flies of the pattern they have chosen. The two extras are for replacements of lost packages that go missing in the U.S. Mail (I was the finder of lost mail when employed at the US Mail Recovery Center).

Each of the two mailing envelopes require $1.95 postage, meter strips are allowed for mailing in for each swap, but self-adhesive postage is required for the return shipment (or you can sent $2.00 along with your flies as I have everything check at the Post Office.

I am also a mentor if anyone has a question or difficulties.. If a members has a event that prevent them from mailing in on time I should be notified as soon as possible.

I need the following information for these Swaps

Full Name
    Mailing Address
    Evening Telephone Number
    Email Address

Steven H. McGarthwaite
    3505 Bellaire Avenue
    White Bear Lake MN 55110
    (651) 777-4650
    parnelli@comcast.net
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 12-20-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Steve,
    I think I would like to try this. Do you require tyers to stick to the original materials for a pattern, or can you substitute (i.e. floss for silk in a partridge and yellow)? I would also like feedback on where I could improve.
    Last edited by pillcaster; 10-01-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I would like to join the fly swap. I will email my details.

Bob

I did this with Parnelli last year and man, what a great thing! You learn so much and get so much more than you put in. Go for it out there!
    Mike

Yes, I'm in too. Thanks for doing this. I will email my info. I would like to tie a Partridge and green for the first swap..
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

6286 Birch Valley Dr, San Antonio, TX 78242

I'm in, planning on a peacock soft hackle fly for November. Emailing my info.

UPDATE: November 19th

The 2013 Beginner's Only Fly Swap now has 7 members for the 5 fly swaps.... newest member is Steve Collie

Member #1: Javier Chavez
    Member #2: Jeff Williams
    Member #3: Robert A Olson
    Member #4: Mark Bonnell
    Member #5: Dale Hively
    Member #6: Charles Pool
    Member #7: Steve Collie

3 positions remain, the November Swap is approaching the end of the month deadline for shipment of flies.

Next Swap is the January Nymph Swap, anyone who wants to join please contact me so I can ship out the Beginner's Only Swap Package to you. You still can get in on the November Soft Hackle Swap. Just mail in the Soft Hackle Flies along with your January Nymph Flies.

~Swapmeister Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 11-19-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Default Join Now, Before It Becomes To Late

Those still thinking about joining this years Beginner's Only Fly Swaps... things to think about

1. I have been a member of FAOL since October of 1997 (FAOL started on September 1st of 1997)
    2. I have been hosting these swaps for over 10 years... I was the the FAOL writer of Tying Tips for many years.
    3. Al Campbell was my mentor on fly tying... rod building... and almost everything else I have learned about fly fishing.
    4 First 3 years of the "Beginner's Only Fly Swaps" there were 4 groups of Beginner's Only, doing 6 monthly fly swaps, with 12 - to -14 members in each group.
    5. I supply each member with a card-stock printout of Sylvester Nemes Soft Hackle Size Guide from "The Soft Hackled Fly Addict" book (page 9. A card-stock printout of toe tags for placement on the curve of the finished fly. A card-stock printout of Walt Dette's and Du Bois's Hackle Gauges. 5 pre-addressed 6 inch by 9 inch envelopes for mailing in each months flies, 5 pre-addressed 6 inch by 9 inch envelopes for the return mailing to the member of the swap
    Also supply a Russell Stover Candy Box for storage of the flies while in shipment (complete mailing address of the member secured to the top of the fly shippment box.

One week gone, three remaining. When October 31st comes no more members will be place until January 1st, when the members will be dressing a Nymph fly pattern....

All this swap will cost you is the mailing $1.95 postage for each envelope, best to buy self-adhesive stamps. At the end of each monthly swap each member will be sent (pdf) a full page photo layout (10 pages of each fly pattern and material listings.

Swapmeister Parnelli

Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 10-07-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Bumping the 2013 Beginner's Only Fly Swap Posting, back up to the top before it gets losts

Swapmeister Parnelli

There are still openings. Come join us.

Bob9

+ Reply to Thread