+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snatcher Fly Patterns

Hybrid View

Default Snatcher Fly Patterns

I have been thinking of trying some snatcher patterns while tenkara fishing. I was wondering if anyone has used these patterns with either western gear or tenkara. These are quick easy flies to tie that seem to be popular if Europe. They also seem to be very easy to adapt color patterns to these patterns. I have tied some up on size 10 Orvis 62KC hooks. I am looking to also tie some size 14 hooks. Either TMC 2487 or Mustad C49S hooks. Let me know what you think about using these.

Mike P.

I have never heard of Snatcher patterns. It will be interesting to hear from the more experienced FAOL members

Gig,

Like you, I had not heard of them either, so, I highlighted "Snatcher Fly Patterns" and put it in the search window and Googled it. Several patterns there plus "you tube" tying instructions. They are a very interesting fly pattern and I feel I need to tie up some to "swing" like a soft hackle fly.

Thanks, Mike, for asking the question because I now have another pattern to tie up and experiment with.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I am glad I got you interested in a new pattern. I have another pattern from across the pond you may not have heard of. It is a cruncher. Another easy tie fly.

They look like "flymphs" to me, anybody know the difference? I have been playing lately with tying my kebaris with palmered hackle, although only the thorax, not the entire fly.

Not sure you can make hard and fast definitions, but I believe a flymph is basically a wingless wet fly with the hackle palmered through the thorax, while a snatcher is a buzzer (large midge larva) palmered throughout.
    Tenkara Bum

+ Reply to Thread