+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colorado Springs in April???? Where (if any, place to go)

Default Colorado Springs in April???? Where (if any, place to go)

Gotta be at a wedding in Colorado Springs in April of next year. Never too early to plan a fishing trip. Where if any is there fishing near Colorado Springs? Should I plan on going early/staying late and fishing near C. Springs. April is probably way early for Colorado any hope that time of year?

The South Platte river has tailwaters below the Spinney and 11 Mile reservoirs that will be open and probably unaffected by Spring runoff.

Keep an eye on the Mother's Day caddis hatch on the Arkansas. Had a ball there a few years ago in April. Guys at Royal Gorge Anglers put me a couple of days behind the hatch...no crowds, and fish still looking up.

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Default Fishing Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    Gotta be at a wedding in Colorado Springs in April of next year. Never too early to plan a fishing trip. Where if any is there fishing near Colorado Springs? Should I plan on going early/staying late and fishing near C. Springs. April is probably way early for Colorado any hope that time of year?
    It's been a few years since I lived in the Springs but both suggestions above are good. April is a tad early but you should find some fish-able streams. One I like for early outings was 11 Mile Canyon up above Woodland Park. That's likely your closest destination with the South Platte just the other side of Route 24 being the other close spot with good paved roads. There's also some spring Crappie fishing over on Brush Hollow Reservoir toward Canyon City as well as on the back waters of Pueblo Reservoir just south of there.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

It's actually more of a tax day hatch. It starts downstream and, when it is at peak, your fly will have to compete with tons of real caddis for the attention of very well fed trout. If that is happening, drive upstream where the colder water will have the hatch just starting and giving your fly less competition.

There's a tailwater fishery below pueblo reservoir, too. I understand there are some nice fish there.

+ Reply to Thread