Huh ?? Say what ??

Been thinking there might be some mahogany duns and emergers in a few places I've been fishing lately. Can't get out to where the fishies have been feeding to sample what is actually in the drift, so figured I'd just put something together and give it a go.

PT = pheasant tail. MDE = mahogany dun emerger. 9DH = 90 degree hackling on and in front of the parachute post.

Pretty simple fly to tie. Size 16 dry fly hook. Four or five pheasant tail fibers tied in for tail / shuck, then twisted together and wrapped forward to form the abdomen. Tag of tying thread counter-wrapped to reinforce the PT fibers. White antron parachute post. Grizzly hackle tied in, five or six wraps down the post, then three wraps around the shank in front of the post before tying it off. Trim the hackle on the underside of the shank forward of the post.

The fly actually did better than I hoped, on what was generally a slow day. In the first place I fished it, in some fast water below a small drop, I hooked and landed the fattest fishy of the day and hooked several more. In the second place, landed several more, including the one in the pic above.

The 9DH hackling is the major difference on this pattern. I've used it on five or six different flies now, and all have fished quite well.

John