+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wanting to try building rods...

Hybrid View

Question Wanting to try building rods...

....but I have several questions.

I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread, so I'll pose my questions here.

When you buy a rod blank, does it come with the ferrules already on the rod? (graphite)

Are some snake guides sold that do not need to have the feet shaped?

What threads are easy to wrap with?

Where can you find a chart or guide for spacing the guides?

Where can you find a chart or guide for the sizes of the guides?

I really like the small, superfine style of rod grips. Where can I find something like that?

If I don't find a grip that I like, do they make pre-made grips that you can shape yourself?

What sort of rod wrappers do people prefer? I like the idea of being able to move the rod rests and being able to move the thread tension device.

I've seen different sizes of reel seats and I'm not sure about the differences. Are they for smaller/larger weights of rods?

There's 10 quick questions. I'm a complete rookie to rod building. I think it's something I'd like to do in my basement over the winter months. I've got a whole room downstairs that I'm not really using for anything. So I will be able to set up down there and not have to worry about breaking things down.

Thanks for any insight you guys can give me. I've been looking at rod building tools (and following the threads) and I've been looking at blanks. And there sure is a lot of different stuff to choose from.

Brian

Yes the ferules are there, unless you are building spigot furles
    Most Snake Guides need some shaping to help with the wraps properly going up the foot.
    Thread may be a preferance but should not affect the wraping
    Hook & Hackle has a chart
    Hook & Hackle has a chart
    You may have to search for the grip you want but if you have a lathe you can fit one to your liking.
    My wraper lets me move the thread and tensioners.
    You must have a very well lighted clean area to do the build in. An overhead fluorsent light will also help with guide alignment as it will show a high lighted stripe down the center of the blank.
    P.S I have all this stuff in a closet along with 2 rod turners and it's just gathering dust!

NewTyer 1 Guest

Well, Maybe you can help each other out. You sell your stuff to him. You make greenback/He gets his equipment and I get my 3% finders fee. See we are all happy

You can also shape a grip with a rasp and sandpaper - and start out with your own rings to save some money.
    You should avoid silk thread at first, and poly thread needs careful treatment.

Take a look at the kits. You can get rod kits and tool kits from either Mud Hole or Stockard.

You either will, or you won't. There's no little steps!! (bwahahahahaha!)

Let me go through my files and find the one (suppliers) who have the fine grips. I'll help you any way I can.

You going to wrap it in purple? Or is that just for the Squire's personal use?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread