+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lot of hooks out there but size is a little confusing

Hybrid View

Default Lot of hooks out there but size is a little confusing

A friend of mine recently showed me his collection of about ten hooks all marked the same size yet few were actually the same physical size. His point was it is hard to mix and match if you want consistent sizing.

I was also surprised at the number of companies in the hook business.

this also makes sizing beadheads difficult as even the slightest gap or hook bend difference can be a deal breaker

I agree with you -- it is getting harder to decide which hook to buy and use. I guess having more options is good and I do like many of the new hook styles like the wide gape emerger hooks.

One corollary to this is that it is becoming increasingly meaningless to refer to bug hatches by hook size. If someone says: "there was a #18 BWO hatch" are they referring to the old #18 Mustad 94840, TMC 100, DaiRiki 125 or ? Of course, this is more confusing in the specially shaped emerger, pupa, nymph hooks. I've started measuring bugs in millimeters and use that as my reference rather than hook size.

Quote Originally Posted by deepcreek View Post
    I was also surprised at the number of companies in the hook business.
    Having spent several years going through factories watching various products manufactured, sometime different brands at the same plant, I wonder how many companies actually manufacture hooks. I envision automatic machines turning out thousands of hooks per minute, I cannot imagine everyone who sells hooks has separate manufacturing facilities.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I was a Mustad user during the Dark Ages (pre Tiemco, Daichi, Dai Riki); simpler times when I'd just use a 94840 for dries and a 3906B for most nymphs. Now that I tie on a variety of hooks - standard shank for most mayfly dries, shorter shank for caddis, hump-shank for hoppers/bulletheads, I hate having to refer to comparison charts, so I've simplified by using mostly Dai Riki hooks. I like their selection, quality and most importantly (to me) cost; never have had an issue with their product.

Regards,
    Scott

I agree with Scott... This has been the simplest thing for me to do. I have many brands that I use on occasion but for my main concentration I use the Dai Riki for the cost issue. I've never had a failure on the water. The only time I've had a problem is if I've crimped down on the barb too hard trying to make it a barbless thereby making it pointless... oops! Sometimes I don't know my own strength. But anyway it's Dai Riki for me and I save money too!!
    Michael

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I was a Mustad user during the Dark Ages (pre Tiemco, Daichi, Dai Riki); simpler times when I'd just use a 94840 for dries and a 3906B for most nymphs. Now that I tie on a variety of hooks - standard shank for most mayfly dries, shorter shank for caddis, hump-shank for hoppers/bulletheads, I hate having to refer to comparison charts, so I've simplified by using mostly Dai Riki hooks. I like their selection, quality and most importantly (to me) cost; never have had an issue with their product.

Regards,
    Scott
    I'm still in those dark ages, even though I didn't start tying until post Tiemco, Daichi... I may use a few more styles than a 94840 and 3906B, but not many more and all my hooks are Mustad. Perhaps as I "mature" in my tying I'll branch out more. But for now the KISS system works for me. And while I know there are great (possibly better and/or less expensive) hooks out there from other manufacturers, Mustad is where I started, they're what I know (even if a 94840 is now a R50), and they are readily available in my area.

---David

The issue is the reference to size by gape rather than length. The system is inane (which has been pointed out for decades, yet still remains).

+ Reply to Thread