Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
Actually Warren, I could clearly pciture the gadget you were describing; perhaps because I had something very similar in mind. Here's what I was thinking. It's difficult to see and read as a PNG file, so I'll explain it. It is a fly box that secures to the fisherman's chest. When he wants to change the fly, he opens it down exposing the flies and creating a small platform to work on. THe hook holder is a machine screw mounted through the bottom of the fly box. There is a hole drilled through the screw at the end and a long nut on the screw. The fisherman inserts the hook and twists the nut one turn to tighten it and secure the fly. He now has it secured and he can insert the tippet bring the tippet to the tag holder at the other end of the fly box. Secure the tag and the main line between the two washers and turn the bolt 6-7 times to twist the tipper to start the cinch knot. Then remove the tag and complete the cinch knot. He would leave the fly in the hook holder to clip the tag end short, then with one twist of the long nut, the fly is loose and can be removed. You could have different boxes with different sized "holders" mounted depending on the size of the hooks/flies.

I realize it would take practice, but I'm sure they could learn to tie a knot if the hook is held secure. Just an idea...

Jim Smith
Jim are you planing on using a loop to loop connection between the tippet and the leader? If not the tippet and leader are going to wrap around the retainer axle and make it rather cumbersome and involved to free the tag end and draw the line in order to tighten the knot.