Quote Originally Posted by new2thefly View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't fly fishing require two "hold" points? One for the rod and one for the line. I'm not trying to minimize the problems of amputees but if they can hold a rod and manage the line they should be able to tie hemostat knots or if they use some form of a rod holder couldn't a vice be attached to the side of it to hold the flys?

I don't have an amputee that I know locally that I can ask so maybe someone here can help me understand and I would feel awkward walking up to someone with this type of injury.

By the way... I'm a medically retired vet and am not trying to make light of the difficulties by those worst off than me just trying to understand the problem so I can try to find a solution.
I had a gentleman from Canada sent to me by another fly shop to get his reel repaired, it had been dropped an was in need of extensive body work. While I disassembled the reel we had a conversation about fly fishing and how long he had been throwing a fly rod and what he enjoyed catching. He listed off some of the usual trout and other freshwater species plus flies and such you know the normal small talk fishermen like to engage in. So when the hammering stopped and tools laid down it was time to test the reel and I ask if he had his rod with him and he did. He told me he wasn't very good with a fly rod but really enjoyed the challenge of it. I ask him how long he had been fly fishing, thirty years give or take was his guess so I ask if he had ever worked with an instructor to improve his technique, he had not. So I ask if he had ever shot a fly line, as in a saltwater area it really helps your chances and he indicated he had not. Further he offered "I don't know that I could if I wanted to". And a deal was struck right then, if he would share with me some of his insights and knowledge I would help him learn to shot a fly line for the first time in his thirty year fly fishing career. In fairness I'll admit he had a few good laughs at my expense but true to his word he taught me things I value to this day. As for my part of the bargain, well I certainly came away feeling honored to have made the deal. You see I got to see a man who was born with only one arm shot a fly line twenty feet further than he had ever done before. True story. My advise if you don't know how to offer help to a fishermen ask them for help in understanding what it is your uncomfortable with. After all they know a whole lot about being them and most are very willing to share that knowledge with you. If you'll start the conversation the rest will take care of itself.