+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tailwater fisheries - Hatches

Hybrid View

Default Tailwater fisheries - Hatches

The Chattahoochee tailwater within 10 miles of the dam has become my homewater for trout fishing. The hatches I have seen here are general minimal compared to what I have been lead to believe western and limestone stream hatches to be. Is this something that is common with tailwater, or are there other factors?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Speaking with 2nd hand knowledge only (what I've read)...it seems tailwater fisheries are different from the freeflowing streams. For tailwaters, my recollection is that typical successful patterns include scuds, San Juan worms, and midges (all stages).

Hopefully folks with firsthand experience can shed more light on your question.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

That's pretty much the way it is here Jess

4. Default

live near Taneycomo & Beaver tail waters, both on the White River. The fluctuation of water releases makes the hatches a little different than on freestone streams. S'OK, just makes a guy think a little more.

Depends on water chemistry and water temperature plus how much the water level changes for electrical generation. Varying water levels with heavy flushing followed by low water periods are bad for aquatic organisms.

Hatches implies the aquatic phase of an organism. You may have mainly aquatic only organisms that DO NOT HATCH.

I would add cress bugs to Dave's list of organisms. Note that of the organisms Dave mention, only midges actually "hatch".

I would collect samples with a kick net which is window screening tacked to two broom handles. Kick and shuffle the river bottom above the net in several areas to see what is available. It is more accurate than rock turning.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I think you have confirmed what I thought was the case. The Hooch is not fertile with mostly a mud bottom with rock which I suspect is mostly quartz and grantite like rock and contribute little or no nutritents to the water. Water rises 5 ft. or more along much of the river when generating. The section of the river I usually fish gets some BWO hatches but nothing like you see photos of from out west or from NE streams.

You don't hear people mention scud patterns often, San Juan worms are mention infrequently but more than scuds. Attractor nymphs, Lightning Bugs, Rainbow Warriors, Blue Assasins, are more frequently mentioned, Wooly Buggers of course, Prince, PT nymphs and GRHE's are also popular. You hear Elk Hair Caddis for dry flies often, I have done better with an Adams or an almost Adams. I think there is more of a caddis hatch in some shoals south of where I fish.

The most successful fisherman on the river is probably a spin fisherman who drifts red plastic creme worms and uses a white twister tail grub, he has a semi-V he has installed a jet-ski drive in and goes where there is water. Last year he saved one fisherman life but his partner drown before Jerry could get back to rescue him.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread